With the trade deadline rapidly approaching, let's take a look at some teams who might look to sell at the deadline.
Notice a trend here with these teams?
UNSURE (probably sellers)
- Already traded away Nate McLouth, who was their best player
- Only 5.5 games out of first place at the moment
- Too early to say if the Pirates will trade away any other players after the McLouth backlash
- Four games under .500, but only 5.5 games out of first place
- Jose Valverde could be a very attractive trade chip
- Can't say for sure if they will be buyers or sellers yet
- Nine games out of first place and 9.5 games out of the wild card
- Likely to become sellers if they cannot gain some ground soon
- However, besides Matt Holliday, what pieces do they realistically have to move?
- Six games out of first place, but 5 games out of wild card
- Jarrod Washburn could be a very attractive chip
- Erik Bedard's injury could/should hurt his trade value
- How much longer can they keep pace with the Angels and Rangers?
- Think about the future! (sell, sell, sell)
- 16 games out of first place, but only 8 out of the wild card
- Eric Byrnes is the only veteran with a absurd contact, who the D-Backs should clamor to move
- Potential free agents Doug Davis, Felipe Lopez, and Jon Garland could net a healthy return as well (especially Davis)
- Qualis, Rauch, and Schoeneweis all could be attractive trade chips
SELLER (if they have any pieces to move)
- 14 games out of first place
- Tried to trade Jake Peavy earlier in the season to Chicago, but that deal fell through
- Do they have any other tradeable pieces besides Peavy?
- 11 games out of first place, but only 3.5 out of the wild card
- Their recent 11-game winning streak sure changed their status from probable sellers to dare I say it....buyers
- Lots of attractive pieces here: Brad Hawpe, Hutson Street, Jason Marquis
- Six-and-a-half games out of first place....9.5 games out of the wild card
- Playing better recently....AL Central is very weak
- might be getting Sizemore back soon....should they hold?
- Nineteen games out of first place, 17.5 games out of the wild card
- What a mess
- Everyone outside of Zimmerman/Zimmermann (for the most part) should be available
- Twelve games out of first place, 9 games out of the wild card
- Future should be the focus in Baltimore
- Get more young pieces!
As you can see, there are so many teams out there right now who are not sure if they will be sellers. The reason is simple: there are so many mediocre teams in baseball this season that almost every team is still in striking distance of the playoffs.