NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤
Ian Walton/Getty Images

Liverpool Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 27

Mark JonesJan 27, 2014

It's the final week of the January transfer window, and plenty of people are waiting for Liverpool to make their first move.

With injuries to the likes of Daniel Agger, Lucas Leiva and Glen Johnson affecting the Reds' squad and severely limiting manager Brendan Rodgers' options as he chases a top-four finish and FA Cup progress, this week is the final opportunity for squad numbers to be swelled.

With Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge still impressing in attack, the full-back and central midfield positions have been identified by many as the areas to improve, but will Liverpool get their deals done in time?

Here you can keep track of all the latest Liverpool news and rumours, as we keep on updating all the way to deadline day.

Make sure to check back all week.

Last updated Friday January 31

Reds Fail in Konoplyanka Bid

1 of 18

The transfer window closed without any confirmation of whether or not Liverpool completed their complicated deal for the Ukrainian winger Yevhen Konoplyanka, but just moments later it was confirmed that the Reds had missed out on their prime deadline day target.

Journalists James Pearce, Oliver Kay and Ben Smith were amongst the sources who confirmed that the transfer had failed, with a report in The Guardian claiming that a row over money and the structure of the deal was what led to the breakdown.

The news will come as a blow to Liverpool, with the Reds failing to add to their squad in January as they continue to push for a top four finish.

"Complicated" Konoplyanka Deal in Trouble?

2 of 18

The longer that transfer deadline day has gone on, the more difficult it appears to be for Liverpool to complete the signing of Dnipro's Yevhen Konoplyanka.

The Reds were hopeful to do a deal with a Ukrainian star swiftly after becoming the front-runners for his signature, but manager Brendan Rodgers has conceded that the matter is a complicated one.

Speaking to the Liverpool Echo, Rodgers said:

"

There is no update.

There is obviously an interest in the player but there is no update.

We'll see how it goes but obviously it is complicated. The staff that are over there have done brilliant work in terms of giving us every chance of getting the player.

It has all happened very quickly and the timeline on everything always makes it tight.   But we've had a list with a number of players on it and we'll see how it all develops.

"

Micah Richards Loan Deal Denied, as Is Nacer Chadli "Interest"

3 of 18

Journalist Tony Barrett has also reported that Liverpool boss Rodgers has denied swooping for Manchester City's Micah Richards on loan.

The defender would have made for a good addition for the Reds, but speaking ahead of Sunday's clash with West Brom, Rodgers has refuted suggestions about the move.

In a later tweet, Barrett also reported that the Reds have no interest in the Tottenham winger Nacer Chadli. 

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster 🔮

Konoplyanka Deal Edges Closer to Completion, but Time Is Against Reds

4 of 18

Liverpool's transfer deadline day looks as though it'll be dominated by Yevhen Konoplyanka's proposed move to the Reds.

The Liverpool Echo's James Pearce gave an update on the situation early on Friday, claiming that personal terms with the Ukrainian winger had already been agreed.

Pearce said:

"

It's all about Yevhen Konoplyanka for Liverpool on transfer deadline day.

Talks with Dnipro are continuing in Ukraine this morning as the Reds look to complete a £15million move for the winger.

The structure of the deal appears to be the sticking point with how much is paid up front the subject of discussion.

Personal terms won't be an issue as negotiations wouldn't have reached this stage without some kind of agreement with the player and the agent over Konoplyanka's wage demands.

"

Keep up with the Konoplyanka situation in our dedicated tracker here.

Lucas Would Welcome Unlikely De Jong Addition

5 of 18

AC Milan's Nigel De Jong has been linked with Liverpool in this transfer window, and although they'd effectively be competing for the same place, Reds midfielder Lucas Leiva has stated that he'd welcome the move.

A deal for De Jong on deadline day seems unlikely, but Lucas told ESPN Brazil:

"

He is a good player and produced many good performances at Manchester City.

If he comes it will be good for the squad because it’s important to have a strong squad.

I believe that if anyone comes who plays in my position it will not be because of my injury but rather to strengthen the squad.

"

Late Yann M'Vila Bid on the Way?

6 of 18

The Liverpool Echo's live transfer blog has highlighted rumours that the Reds are set to strike a late deal to bring French midfielder Yann M'Vila to the club from Russian side Rubin Kazan.

M'Vila, who is a close friend of Mamadou Sakho and watched the Reds in the 3-3 draw with Everton at Goodison Park earlier this season, is 23 and has been highly rated ever since coming through the ranks at Ligue 1 club Rennes.

Unlikely Isaac Cuenca Deal?

7 of 18

With the Konoplyanka deal progressing, you'd have thought that the Reds wouldn't be interested in other wingers, but that hasn't stopped the Daily Star linking them with a move for Barcelona's Isaac Cuenca.

The report indicates that Liverpool are in a straight fight with Arsenal for the 22-year-old wide man, who spent part of last season on loan at Ajax.

£16m Bid for Konoplyanka on the Table

8 of 18

Liverpool are edging ever closer to the signing of Ukraine's Yevhen Konoplyanka, with the Daily Mirror reporting that a £16m bid has been placed on the table in an attempt to ward off rival interest.

Tottenham were initially credited with an interest in the winger, but now the Reds are believed to be battling with an unnamed Bundesliga club for his signature, and appear to be growing ever more confident of landing their prime January target.

Konoplyanka Links Grow

9 of 18

On Wednesday, the one (long) name on everyone's lips was that of the Ukrainian international winger Yevhen Konoplyanka.

The Dnipro man was linked to the Reds earlier this week (slide 6), but sources such as Sky Sports are now reporting that the 24-year-old is on the verge of completing a switch to Anfield after Brendan Rodgers confirmed that his club were close to making a new addition.

Speaking after the 4-0 hammering of Everton, Rodgers said:

"

I think we will hopefully do something over the next couple of days.

I saw some headlines after Monday's press conference in terms of the manager being angry with the club - nothing is further from the truth.

We are not just going to get the players we want to get in for a number of reasons.

Hopefully we can have a major signing before the window shuts and if we can do that we will be set up for the remaining games.

"

Stuttgart's Alexandru Maxim Another Name Linked

10 of 18

Stuttgart's 23-year-old Romanian attacking midfielder Alexandru Maxim is another name linked with the Reds, with Talksport claiming that an offer will be coming in for the former Espanyol man in the coming days.

Maxim only joined Stuttgart last January, but the Reds are believed to be keen on a deal for the 11-times capped midfielder.

Late Move to Re-Sign Tom Ince?

11 of 18

The Daily Star have reported that Liverpool have re-entered the race to sign their former winger Tom Ince a year after they looked set to sign him from Blackpool.

Ince, who came through the Liverpool youth ranks, is set to leave on a loan deal before his Blackpool contract expires in the summer, although he looks more likely to join a club lower down the Premier League table where he can get more first-team football.

Reds in Premier League Fight for Arda Turan?

12 of 18

The Liverpool Echo also highlights a report that Liverpool are in a four-way Premier League fight for the impressive Turkish international Arda Turan of Atletico Madrid.

Turan's performances have seen his price tag increase this season, and with competition from the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal, the Reds shouldn't be considered as favourites for his signature.

Ukraine's Yevhen Konoplyanka Eyed?

13 of 18

As cited here by the Liverpool Echo, Sky Sports have reported that Liverpool hold an interest in Dnipro's 24-year-old winger Yevhen Konoplyanka, who has 35 caps for the Ukraine.

After the failure of the move for Mohamed Salah it would make sense that the Reds were searching for a wide man, although a potential £13m fee for the three-time Ukrainian Footballer of the Year could prove a stumbling block.

Daniel Agger-Gokhan Inler Swap Deal?

14 of 18

The Metro reports a potential, and unlikely swap deal between Liverpool and Napoli which will see Daniel Agger and Gokhan Inler switch clubs.

Agger is certain to interest his former boss Rafael Benitez in Naples, whilst Switzerland's Inler would be a terrific addition to Liverpool's midfield, which remains a priority area for the club to improve on.

However, any deal would be unlikely to happen until the summer, if at all.

Brendan Rodgers Admits Transfer Frustrations

15 of 18

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers had admitted that he's been met with nothing but frustration throughout the transfer window so far, but he'll keep looking to do deals until the final few hours of Friday night.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Rodgers said:

"

We’ve wanted to bring in players who could help us and players of quality. Let’s hope we can do that between now and the end of the window.

"

Benfica's Andre Gomes on His Way In?

16 of 18

Benfica's 20-year-old Portuguese under-21 international, Andre Gomes, is another player Liverpool have targeted to solve their midfield issues, according to the Sunday Times.

Portuguese outlet A Bola claimed on Sunday that Gomes has been sold already, with super-agent Jorge Mendes now preparing to announce his next club.

Will that club be Liverpool, who are in need of a player like Gomes, or has two and two simply been put together to make five? 

Victor Moses to Earn Permanent Deal?

17 of 18

Although not a January transfer, there has been plenty of talk of Victor Moses earning a permanent transfer in the past few days.

The winger turned in an improved performance and scored the opening goal in the FA Cup win at Bournemouth on Saturday, and Brendan Rodgers has now urged the Nigerian international to keep working hard if he wants to earn a permanent switch to the Reds from Chelsea.

Rodgers told the Daily Mirror:

"

For Victor, it is very simple. He wants to remain in a position that he will remain at a big club, whether it is Chelsea or Liverpool. There is no bigger motivation than that.

In order to do that, he needs to be performing day in day out in training. if he does really well for us there is a possibility we will want to have him permanently, but ultimately it is Chelsea’s decision because he is their player. 

"

Saul Niguez to Solve Midfield Problems?

18 of 18

The Daily Star report that highly rated 19-year-old midfielder Saul Niguez is being targeted by Brendan Rodgers, with the Spaniard apparently keen to move to Anfield ahead of other English clubs due to his belief that he could earn more first-team football there.

The teenager, known commonly as Saul, is on loan at Rayo Vallecano from Atletico Madrid. He is capable of playing in both defensive and attacking midfield roles. 

He could be available for around £12 million. 

Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster 🔮

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid 🎶

Lions Cowboys Football

Cowboys Stadium Gets Curtains

Kyle Busch's Cause of Death Released
Bleacher Report12h

Kyle Busch's Cause of Death Released

Family says NASCAR star's death occurred after 'severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis' (AP)

TRENDING ON B/R