Here are 12 questions I'd like to ask Mario Williams:
1) Mario, the Houston Texans organization has geared its building blocks around defense in many ways since it entered the league in 2002.
You are, of course, one of the centerpieces of that defense. What are your interpretations of where this team is in the grand scheme of things defensively?
2) Last year the Texans ranked 22nd in the league in total defense, allowing 24.6 points and 336.6 yards per game.
Two years ago, the Texans ranked 24th in total defense, giving up 24 points and 344.2 yards per game.
What are your thoughts on that, and what sorts of things does the defense need to do to improve on that? How much better can this defense become?
3) The Texans used five of their eight draft choices on defensive players in April, with the top two selections coming on your side of the ball. What kind of an impact do expect these new players will have on this team?
4) What sort of indication does all these defensive draft choices tell you about team management's thoughts of this team?
5) As a No. 1 draft choice in 2006, how much responsibility do you put on your shoulders to help this defense become regarded as one of the best in the NFL?
6) You set a franchise record for sacks in 2007 with 14 and had 12 last year. Do you feel you've done enough to prove yourself and validate your impact on this team? What more can you do?
7) The Texans have finished 8-8 in back-to-back years. How close is this team to taking the next step and reaching the postseason?
8) Retrace your steps back to last year's Monday Night Football game. It was the first time in franchise history the Texans hosted a Monday Night game. You had three sacks that night, and your team beat Jacksonville, 30-17. How special was that game for you personally?
9) What do you sense about how the rest of the defense is feeling about this upcoming season? Is there a widespread belief that the Texans will become one of the league's more recognized defenses, and how soon?
10) If there's one thing that sets you apart from other defensive ends in the league, what is it?
11) This city was affected by a hurricane last year. While it didn't take on the same significance as Katrina in New Orleans in 2005, how much did something like that make you stop and reflect on good life is for you, and how much others suffer through times like that? Do you have a hurricane brewing inside you for this season?
12) What can we expect out of the Houston Texans this season? How long before we season this team playing in the playoffs?