NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤

Chelsea Transfer News: Latest Buzz on Wayne Rooney, Doria and David Luiz

Joseph ZuckerJun 8, 2018

With each day comes new reports or quotes either linking Wayne Rooney with a move to Chelsea or claiming he's not going anywhere this summer.

It's a very fluid situation regarding Rooney. Just when it appears the scales are tipping toward one end, things take a turn.

Given the situation with both sides, Chelsea and Manchester United are getting ready to bunker in for the long haul. Let's just say September 2 cannot come soon enough.

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

Lions Cowboys Football

Cowboys Stadium Gets Curtains

Along with Rooney, here are two other rumours to watch out for as they develop over the summer.

No New Developments in Rooney Transfer, But Mourinho Stays "Calm"

You wouldn't be surprised to hear front-office members of both clubs sounding their exasperation over the Wayne Rooney saga. According to the Daily Mirror's Martin Lipton, Jose Mourinho isn't losing any sleep over the ongoing drama, though:

"

There is no transfer movement, no.

At this moment we have done what you know, made that bid which was public and official.

After that nothing else. But we are calm, as we told you that we are calm, because we are happy with what we have.

"

Lipton also reported in the same article the Blues could make a £24 million bid for the 27-year-old striker.

If Rooney is going to leave Manchester United, it's going to take more than £24 million. Jamie Jackson of The Guardian reported the club has no plans to sell Rooney, even in the event a top-class player like Cesc Fabregas arrives at Old Trafford. David Moyes has even said on the record that United are not putting the striker up for sale, per the BBC.

Everybody has their price, so if Chelsea really want Rooney, they're going to have to put a major dent in the transfer budget. The Blues will likely have to pay a bit over odds for the player, as United have all the leverage at the moment. Rooney still has two years left on his deal, and Ed Woodward has said the club is open to letting the contract run out.

Chelsea Looking to Add Another Brazilian Defender

Chelsea have done a great job of acquiring and stockpiling developing young talent. Over the past couple of years, they've added the likes of Kevin de Bruyne, Thibaut Courtois, Oriol Romeu, Oscar, Wallace and Romelu Lukaku. This summer, the Blues bought Marco van Ginkel from Vitesse.

After having some success with young Brazilian players, Chelsea is going with what has worked. The Blues have reportedly bid €9.4 million for 18-year-old defender Doria, per Lance! (via Rupert Fryer).

(You can read the original report here.)

Although that may seem a high fee for such a young player, Doria has already gotten himself a regular place for Botafogo. He's developed a lot for his age, and he's only going to get better from here. Brazil have produced a lot of talented defenders, and Doria looks to be the next in line.

There could be some talk that Doria's arrival could mean the departure of David Luiz. That seems very unlikely, as Doria isn't yet ready to be a regular first-team centre-back for a Premier League club like Chelsea. It wouldn't really be a like-for-like substitute.

Although, Chelsea look like they might have a fight for Luiz on their hands.

What About the Brazilian Defender They Already Have?

David Luiz has been linked with Barcelona for a little while now. The Daily Mail's Declan Warrington reported earlier in the month that the Catalan club would bid £30 million for the centre-back, which would likely be rebuffed by Chelsea.

With the saga of Tito Vilanova and subsequent hiring of Gerardo Martino, Barca's transfer plans have taken a back seat. Now with Martino officially at the helm, it looks as if Barcelona may be ready to push for Luiz once again. Italian football journalist Tancredi Palmeri tweeted that the Spanish club has gotten in touch with Chelsea regarding the player.

A move away from Stamford Bridge seems unlikely for Luiz. He can make more money at Chelsea than he could at just about any club. The Blues are also just two years removed from being European champions and won the Europa League last season.

Given how Luiz has continued improving as a defender and his ability to slot in at the midfield, it's going to take a massive fee in order for another club to get him out of London. It's money Barcelona are unlikely to have at the moment, especially after they bought Neymar.

Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

Lions Cowboys Football

Cowboys Stadium Gets Curtains

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster 🔮

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid 🎶

NFL star fakes injury at Savannah Bananas game
Bleacher Report2h

NFL star fakes injury at Savannah Bananas game

TRENDING ON B/R