NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤

Chelsea Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of July 8

Garry HayesJun 7, 2018

So, Jose Mourinho has returned to Chelsea and, as per the club's announcement in mid-June, was shortly followed by German international Andre Schurrle and more recently Marco van Ginkel.

If you think the Blues' summer transfer dealings are done there though, think again. The Londoners haven't won the Premier League title since 2010, and with their Portuguese manager back at the club he proclaims to love the most, we can expect more comings and goings ahead of the new season kicking off on Aug. 17.

But who will be arriving and who will bidding farewell to Stamford Bridge? This summer has already seen David Luiz linked with a move to Barcelona, via Daily Mail, while rumors have surrounded the potential arrival of Edinson Cavani for £53 million, as per The Guardian.

We gave warning of it in May, and now "silly season" is well and truly here in the Premier League. Sit tight as Bleacher Report keeps you up to date throughout the week with all the latest Chelsea news and gossip.

Last update: July 13

Blues Closing in on De Rossi

1 of 10

Could Daniele De Rossi be moving to England this summer?

The Daily Mail is reporting the Italy and Roma midfielder is on his way to Chelsea after he was left out of the club's pre-season training camp.

The 29-year-old was involved with the Italian national team at the Confederations Cup, so is on an extended break, but it's believed when he returns to training it will be with Chelsea.

The Blues are in the market for a defensive midfielder and with his tenacious approach, it's believed De Rossi is top of Jose Mourinho's shopping list.

The same report in the Mail suggests Chelsea's new Brazilian defender Wallace could join Roma on loan as part of the De Rossi deal.

Moyes Speaking Double Dutch on Rooney Transfer Rumors?

2 of 10

New Manchester United manager David Moyes has moved to end rumors linking Wayne Rooney with a transfer away from Old Trafford this summer, asking if he was speaking another language when it came to the England ace.

"Unless I was speaking double Dutch I think we said Wayne Rooney is not for sale," Moyes told the gathered media at a press conference in Bangkok on Friday, reported by BBC Sport

"It's hard to keep repeating myself. But I will do. Wayne is a Manchester United player and will remain that."

At his first press conference as Manchester United manager, Moyes had already expressed his desire to keep hold of Rooney following speculation he could be joining Chelsea or Arsenal (via Daily Mail).

The latest rumors come on the back of Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho revealing his admiration for United's current No. 10.

"It's a funny, tricky question from an ethical point of view as I can't talk about players from other teams," Mourinho is quoted as saying in The Guardian.

"But it is not my character to speak with hypocrisy, I always tell what I see. He's a player that I like very much. Being fast and direct I like him very much, but he's a Manchester United player."

Speculation surrounding Rooney refuses to go away, with The Express reporting on Saturday, July 13, that the Blues remain interested, but plan to sell Fernando Torres in order to finance a deal.

Rooney himself is currently out for three weeks with a hamstring train which forced him to return to England for treatment, missing the club's tour of the Far East.

Romeu Joins Valencia on Loan

3 of 10

Chelsea have confirmed that midfielder Oriol Romeu has joined Valencia on loan.

The Blues announced on their official website on Friday July 12 that the Spaniard would spend the season back in La Liga having joined the club from Barcelona in 2011.

Romeu hasn't featured since Dec. 8, 2012, for Chelsea after he suffered a serious knee injury in the 3-1 victory to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster 🔮

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid 🎶

Blues Set to Battle with Spurs for Benteke

4 of 10

Christian Benteke handed in a transfer request at Aston Villa this week (via The Mirror), sparking a flurry of interest in the 22-year-old Belgian.

Chelsea are one of the club's linked with a move for the Villa man, but according to the Evening Standard, they face a battle with London rivals Tottenham Hotspur for his signature.

The newspaper is reporting Benteke will cost in the region of £25 million, adding Chelsea are eager to bring him to Stamford Bridge after missing out on Radamel Falcao, Edinson Cavani and Robert Lewandowski this summer.

Whether they can beat Spurs to his signature remains to be seen, but the Daily Mail suggests North London is Benteke's destination of choice.

It is said Villa would prefer he joined Chelsea, but with the 2014 World Cup less than a year away, Benteke feels first-team football will be a guarantee at White Hart Lane as he bids to make it on Belgium's plane heading to Brazil.

Suarez Laughs off Chelsea Rumors

5 of 10

Luis Suarez has said he's flattered by rumors linking him with Arsenal and Chelsea (see Slide 5), but has laughed off claims he will be joining the Blues.

Speaking on Uruguayan radio (via Sky Sports), the Liverpool hit man said: "It's good to know that I am still valued by teams like Arsenal. Friends call me up to ask if I am moving to Chelsea, to which I laugh.

"Don't believe everything you read or hear! I am sometimes off the grid. I don't even know where my phone is sometimes."

Suarez has a chequered history with Chelsea, receiving a 10-game man in May for biting Blues defender Branislav Ivanovic.

Schwarzer Arrives from Fulham on One-Year Deal

6 of 10

Former Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has joined Chelsea, signing a one-year deal after his contract expired with the Cottagers earlier this month.

The Blues—who had been rumored to be chasing Norwich City's John Ruddy (via The Guardian)as back-up to Petr Cech—announced the capture of Schwarzer on the club's official website on Tuesday July 9.

Speaking after the announcement, the 40-year-old said: "There were other interests but once I knew Chelsea was interested it was very much the case that I wanted to try and make it happen. I'm very fortunate and delighted to be sitting here today."

With Thibaut Courtois currently on loan at Atletico Madrid for a third season and back-up goalkeepers Ross Turnbull and Hilario leaving Stamford Bridge, Schwarzer will be challenging Cech for the No. 1 spot.

You can read more from Schwarzer's interview here.

PSG Confirm Cavani Talks

7 of 10

Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed they are in talks over the transfer of Edinson Cavani from Serie A runners-up Napoli.

"We presented De Laurentiis [Napoli's president] with an offer that I consider really interesting," PSG's sporting director Leonardo is quoted as saying to Italian newspaper Il Mattino [via Sky Sports].

"The negotiations continue. We will remain in contact and, in these next few days, there could be news."

With PSG now appearing in the driving seat for Cavani's signature, it could spell the end of Chelsea's interest.

Last week it was reported in the Daily Mail that Roman Abramovich was ready to pull out of the race for the Uruguayan with rumors of PSG lodging a £43 million bid.

Chelsea Chasing Suarez?

8 of 10

Could Chelsea be ready to shock English football by bidding for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez?

The Uruguayan is very much Public Enemy No. 1 at Stamford Bridge after his antics at the end of last season when he bit Branislav Ivanovic in the Blues' 2-2 with the Reds at Anfield.

He received a 10-match ban for the incident, but now The Mirror is reporting Chelsea are interested in bringing him to West London as they look to bolster their striking options ahead of the forthcoming season.

Quite what Chelsea fans will make of the club potentially bidding for him remains another matter, although they have competition for his signature.

Real Madrid have been linked with Suarez this summer (via Daily Mail) while Arsenal have had a £30 million turned down according to BBC Sport.

Klopp: "Lewandowski Will Join Bayern'

9 of 10

Chelsea already look set to miss out on Edinson Cavani (refer to Slide 7) and now it seems their back-up Robert Lewandowski is also going to evade Jose Mourinho’s Blues, too.

The Borussia Dortmund frontman had been rumored to be on Chelsea’s list of transfer targets this summer (via The Mirror), but his current manager has dealt a hammer blow to their hopes of signing him, revealing that he expects the Polish international to join Bayern when his contract expires at the end of next season.

"I believe it's a fact that Robert Lewandowski will move to Bayern after the coming season," he is quoted as saying on ITV.com.

“Up until a certain point we were ready to talk, concerning Robert's desire for change. But as nothing happened in this time, we had to say at some point: That is no longer happening.”

Dortmund fans will be less than impressed after their 21-year-old attacking midfielder Mario Gotze joined their rivals Bayern this summer and now it seems they will lose another star to the Pep Guardiola’s team.

As for Chelsea, their hunt for a world-class striker continues.

Draxler Opens the Door to Chelsea Move

10 of 10

Chelsea already have a talented crop of midfielders, adding to it this summer with the captures of Andre Schurrle and Marco van Ginkel.

It seems they're not quite satisfied though and could make a £38 million move for Schalke's Julian Draxler.

The Express reported Chelsea's interest in one of the Bundesliga's rising stars in June, with Schalke confirming they would not stand in the 19-year-old's way if a top club approached.

Now the same newspaper is reporting Draxler is interested in a move, but not until next summer.

"I've still got to work a lot on myself and improve," he is reported to have said. "I'm staying here because I see the chance of playing frequently.

"I'm going to try to do that as much as possible and then we can reconsider in the new year."

Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster 🔮

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid 🎶

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

Saints Bills Football

NFL star fakes injury at Savannah Bananas game

Johnny Manziel wins MMA debut
Bleacher Report6h

Johnny Manziel wins MMA debut

TRENDING ON B/R