Rope Cable Wreaks Havoc Upon Coca-Cola 600 at the Charlotte Motor Speedway

Tim Keeney@@t_keenContributor IMay 27, 2013

CONCORD, NC - MAY 26:  Track workers clean up cable from an aerial Fox Sports camera on the front stretch during a red flag in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 26, 2013 in Concord, North Carolina. The red flag was due to a rope that helps hold a aerial Fox Sports camera hanging above the 1.5-mile layout at Charlotte Motor Speedway snapped during the Coca-Cola 600.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

The Coca-Cola 600 was delayed on Sunday afternoon when a television cable fell on the track and injured 10 fans. 

ESPN's David Newton has the details:

Ten fans were injured and several Sprint Cup cars were damaged on Sunday night when a rope cable from the Fox television skycam above Charlotte Motor Speedway fell over the track and grandstands in Turn 4.

CMS reported that seven fans were evaluated and released from the track care center with minor cuts and scrapes. Three were sent to hospitals for further evaluation.

NASCAR VP and CCO Brett Jewkes commented on the situation:

Brett Jewkes @BJewkes

#NASCAR will work closely with our partners at FOX on their investigation of the CamCat issue tonight. Thoughts & prayers are with the fans.

The rope that guides the overhead camera suddenly dropped onto the track on Lap 121 of the 400-lap event, the caution came out on Lap 122 and on Lap 126, the race was officially stopped. 

All cars were allowed to change tires and refuel, while those who had cars directly affected by the accident were given time to repair the damages. 

Among the drivers who sustained the most damage from the fall was Kyle Busch, who was in the lead at the time. According to ESPN's report, the right side of his car near the tire, the splitter, fender and rocker arm were all dinged. 

All in all, the delay lasted nearly 30 minutes before action resumed. 

Busch, who led 65 laps and ran in the top five for most of the night, was finally forced to take his car to the garage after 259 laps. It was undoubtedly a disappointing end to his night, as he was going for the sweep at Charlotte Motor Speedway, but it's fortunate that he—and all the drivers—avoided injury.

Kevin Harvick would go on to win the race, pulling away in the final 11 laps after the restart.

This was certainly a frightening incident, but it's good to see no major injuries.


The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.