Indy 500 Schedule 2013: Start Time, TV Info, Weather Updates and More

Mike Chiari@mikechiariFeatured ColumnistMay 25, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - MAY 27:  Dario Franchitti of Scotland, driver of the #50 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Honda, pours the victory milk over his head in victory lane in celebration of winning the IZOD IndyCar Series 96th running of the Indianapolis 500 mile race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on May 27, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana.  (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)
Robert Laberge/Getty Images

With qualifying complete and everything in place, the only thing left to do is race at the Indianapolis 500.

"The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" is always exciting, but this year's edition could be especially interesting with so many legitimate contenders. Only four drivers in the field have won the Indy 500 before, so the odds of a first-time winner breaking through are quite good.

Although the Daytona 500 is certainly in the argument, the Indianapolis 500 is still considered to be the biggest race in motorsports. This race could very well launch someone to superstardom on Sunday.

Here is all the information you need to know ahead of Sunday's Indy 500, including when and where to watch it, what type of weather you can expect and where every driver will be starting when the green flag waves.

Where: Indianapolis Motor Speedway

When: Sunday, May 26 at 12 p.m. ET

Watch: ABC

Live Stream: LiveStream.com

Weather Updates

Although heavy showers aren't expected to mar the Indy 500, it does appear as though rain could play a slight factor. According to Weather.com, the high temperature in Indianapolis on Sunday will be a comfortable 68 degrees. There is also a 40 percent chance of showers during the day, with that probability increasing to 60 percent at night.

Since the weather is likely to get worse as the day goes on, officials will likely have to find a way to finish the race before the evening. With the race starting at noon ET, they should have plenty of time even if the race is stalled. As long as the showers aren't extended, there isn't much to worry about.

Race fans have actually gotten quite lucky weather-wise in recent years, as rain hasn't often been a factor. According to Jenny Anchondo of Fox 59 in Indianapolis, measurable rainfall has occurred at the Indy 500 just four times since 2000.

Jenny Anchondo @JennyAnchondoTV

Measurable rain has fallen 4 times since 2000 on race day. http://t.co/QrPAYjxd7p for the forecast for the #Indy500 .

It seems like rain could very well fall for a fifth year since 2000 on Sunday, but unless the forecast changes drastically, it won't be a big deal. Look for the Indy 500 to go off without a hitch.

Starting Grid

Grid Spot


Four-Lap Average (MPH)

1 Ed Carpenter 228.762
2 Carlos Munoz (R) 228.342
3 Marco Andretti 228.261
4 E.J. Viso 228.150
5 AJ Allmendinger (R) 228.099
6 Will Power 228.087
7 Ryan Hunter-Reay 227.904
8 Helio Castroneves 227.762
9 James Hinchcliffe 227.070
10 JR Hildebrand 227.441
11 Alex Tagliani 227.386
12 Tony Kanaan 226.949
13 Oriol Servia 226.814
14 Justin Wilson 226.370
15 Sebastien Bourdais 226.196
16 Scott Dixon 226.158
17 Dario Franchitti 226.069
18 Takuma Sato 225.892
19 Charlie Kimball 225.880
20 James Jakes 225.809
21 Simon Pagenaud 225.674
22 Townsend Bell 225.643
23 Ryan Briscoe 225.265
24 Simona De Silvestro 225.226
25 Josef Newgarden 226.731
26 Graham Rahal 225.007
27 Sebastian Saavedra 224.929
28 Tristian Vautier (R) 224.873
29 Ana Beatriz 224.184
30 Pippa Mann 224.005
31 Conor Daly (R) 223.582
32 Buddy Lazier 223.442
33 Katherine Legge 223.176

Qualifying results and starting grid via Indy 500's official website.

Sleepers to Watch

James Hinchcliffe

There is plenty of talk about the likes of Dario Franchitti and Helio Castroneves, as either of them can move into a tie as the all-time winningest Indy 500 driver with a victory on Sunday, but James Hinchcliffe may have something to say about that. The Canadian star is currently fourth in the IndyCar standings, and he has already won two races in this young season.

After winning the opening race of the year, Hinchcliffe took the checkered flag in the most recent event in Sao Paulo, Brazil. His fellow drivers, including Ryan Briscoe, showered him with praise after the race.

Ryan Briscoe @Ryan_Briscoe

What great finish to the @IndyCar race! @Hinchtown deserved that one!

Hinchcliffe's daring style can backfire at times, but being conservative isn't an effective way to win the Indy 500. If he is near the front in the closing laps, look for him to make a big move and go for the gusto as he seeks his first Indy 500 win.

Scott Dixon

Scott Dixon already knows how it feels to win the Indy 500, a feat he accomplished in 2008, but there is no doubt that the Kiwi would love to turn the trick again. Dixon has been very consistent this year and is fifth in points. He has yet to win a race, but he has remained in the mix, which should serve him well on Sunday.

Despite the fact that Dixon has won the race before, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of hype surrounding him. Most of the focus is on Franchitti and Castroneves, which could allow Dixon to fly under the radar.

With that said, oddsmakers understand that he is a threat to win. He is listed as the No. 2 favorite, according to Lewis Franck of ESPN the Magazine.

Lewis Franck @LewisFranck

Marco Andretti Now favored to win #Indy500 by Las Vega oddsmakers. Ed Carpenter and Scott Dixon 2d favs. #IndyCar http://t.co/xYW4S3feTV

Dixon has the tools necessary to win, and his winning experience could come into play during the latter stages. Don't be surprised if he is able to pull it off.

Takuma Sato 

While avid followers of IndyCar racing are well aware, many viewers who tune in to the Indy 500 on Sunday will probably have no idea that Takuma Sato is the current points leader. He has been excellent through four races with one victory and two podium finishes.

No win would be sweeter than the Indianapolis 500, though. 

Sato will starting in the middle of the field at No. 18, but that doesn't preclude him from winning the race. He has done a great job at staying out of trouble on the track this year, which should be a major asset to him on Sunday. There aren't many people picking Sato to win, but he deserves to be in the conversation.

History will be made if Sato is triumphant, as no Asian driver has even won the Indianapolis 500. Sato could inspire people across his home continent if he is able to win the biggest race in motorsports. 

Follow @MikeChiari on Twitter


The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.