With spring ball over and the "summer" freshmen not yet on campus, the Wolverines are knee deep in the Barwis summer work out program. The coaches on the other hand are all over the US talking to kids about Michigan's program.
Recruiting always heats up over the summer months, with camps and official visits. As you have seen over the past five years, recruiting starts earlier and earlier. Michigan has about 50% of it's 2010 class filled already, but still has some outstanding needs at defensive back, a second QB, linebacker, and at defensive tackle. The latest report has Michigan brandishing 150 offers on the street.
Here is an update on where Michigan stands with some of it's prospective players for 2010:
- Michigan QB Prospect Performs Well at an Elite 11 Camp: Per ESPN: Munchie Legaux (New Orleans/Edna Carr) has excellent size (6' 4", 187 lbs) and can throw the football well. He had 15 rushing touchdowns last season, so he can also run. Legaux claims an offer from Michigan—and others from Tulane, Louisiana Tech, and Florida International. Baylor, Oregon, and Virginia are also showing him attention. Legaux is likely going to benefit from his performance and see his stock rise. He was impressive.
- FL RB Cassius McDowell has Michigan listed as his leader. He is teammates with future 2009 Wolverines Denard Robinson and Adrian Witty.
- Rashad Knight, a CB from Florida, has offers from BYU, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Indiana, Louisville, Rutgers, and Maryland but Michigan just offered on Tuesday and Rashad seems very interested in the Wolverines.
- Do you think RR and Staff are recruiting speed? Check this out: Liberty senior Fitzgerald Toussaint ran a blistering 10.86 to cruise in the 100. Also this: Toussaint, who won a state indoor title in the 60 in March, also anchored the third-place 4x100 relay, which included fellow University of Michigan football recruit Isaiah Bell. A third Michigan recruit, junior Antonio Kinard, joined Bell on the sixth-place 4x200 relay. Bell is a 2009 safety recruit for the Wolverines and Antonio is a 2010 committed linebacker recruit, yes, a linebacker.
- Michigan has offered Cincinnati Tight End Alex Welch. Alex should feel honored because Michigan doesn't offer too many tight ends anymore. What's next, a full back?
- Michigan offered Baltimore (Md.) City College wide receiver Adrian Coxson. Adrian is 6' 4", 185 lbs, and the No. 158 prospect in the country by Rivals.
- Michigan went into Hyattsville, Maryland DeMatha, and offered just about the entire team including; safeties Jeff Knox, Lorenzo Waters, and Michael Coley and offensive lineman Arie Kouandjio.
- Decatur (Ga.) Southwest DeKalb cornerback Jonathan Mincy has been offered by the Wolverines and so has his teammate defensive end T.J. Stripling (6' 6", 215 lbs).
- Running back Andre Givens from Ohio who rushed for 1,433 yards and 18 touchdowns last season is also sporting a new Michigan offer.
- Larry Foote heading by foot or plane to the Detroit Lions? Seems the Pittsburgh Steelers were prepared to release Larry Foote yesterday but Larry started to get immediate interest from the Detroit Lions and now the Steelers are trying to work a trade for the former Wolverine linebacker. If a trade can't be worked out, look for Larry to be released by this weekend.
- Drew is Done: Drew Henson was released by the Lions yesterday, most likely ending his professional football career. So much promise and so little to show for it.