NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

Floyd Mayweather Must Focus on Legacy in Final 5 Fights Before Retirement

Maxwell OgdenJun 8, 2018

According to Dan Rafael of ESPN, Floyd Mayweather (44-0, 26 KO) has 30 months remaining in his professional boxing career. In that time, Mayweather plans on taking part in five fights, thus making it a one-fight-per-six-month ordeal.

In that time, it's imperative that Mayweather focuses on his legacy as he plans out the final battles of his legendary career.

"Pretty Boy" Floyd is coming off of a unanimous decision victory over Robert Guerrero and has thus reclaimed the WBC Welterweight title. This was the first time that Mayweather had fought since May 5, 2012, when he defeated Miguel Cotto.

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football

One day shy of a full calendar year later, Mayweather won with a unanimous score of 117-111.

No matter what you think about him, that's nothing short of legendary.

Per Rafael's report, this could be one of the final six times that we see Mayweather fight. As previously reported, there are just 30 months remaining of Mayweather's career as a boxer.

In that time, it's all about padding his legacy.

"

"In 30 months my career is over," he said. "I want to rack up my six victories and hopefully do commentating and keep the sport of boxing alive. That's what I'm focused on."

He later added, "Well, you know, I only have 30 months left, so I want to just help clean the sport up. After this fight I've got five more fights. That's all I got to do, finish putting them stamps on my legacy."

"

And stamps he must add.

Moving forward, the undefeated champion must schedule fights that will help build his legacy as one of the greatest to ever live. In turn, he must weigh each of his future fights by way of what will help him cap off a magical career in style.

The name Manny Pacquiao instantly comes to mind.

With that being said, there are other options.

According to Rick Reeno of BoxingScene.com, rising star Amir Khan is one of the dozens of fighters who have challenged Mayweather. At 28-3 with 19 knockouts, Khan is an attractive option for Mayweather's next fight—even if he has lost two of his past four.

Reeno reports that Mayweather would accept the fight if it were to become a realistic option. With that being said, we must acknowledge the unfortunate truth.

Khan will be strong to Mayweather detractors if Money declines his fight offer and weak if Floyd accepts.

Per Luis Sandoval of BoxingScene.com, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is another option for Mayweather. At 42-0, the WBC and WBA Light Middleweight champion certainly has something to offer.

Mayweather would certainly do well to extend his winning streak by ending another.

Even still, we all want to see the career-defining fight.

The truth of the matter is, the world wants to see Mayweather take on Pacquiao and the only rational way to improve his legacy is to make that happen. With that being said, 30 months is a long time, and five fights present an opportunity to solidify his status as one of the greatest ever.

Regardless of whom he faces, Mayweather is expected to fight again in September, per Reeno's report.

Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

TRENDING ON B/R