Sacramento Kings Close to a Deal with Jason Thompson
The Sacramento Kings and restricted free agent forward Jason Thompson are close to a new deal, according to the Sacramento Bee’s Jason Jones.
"#NBAKings are close to an agreement on a new contract with PF Jason Thompson according to a source.
— JasonJones (@mr_jasonjones) July 8, 2012"
Details of the deal are not known, but Jones did tweet earlier in the week that sources told him the deal was worth more than six million dollars in its first year.
Thompson started 47 games for the Kings last season, averaging 9.1 points and 6.9 rebounds game while shooting a team high 53.5 percent from the field. He was the 12th overall pick by Kings in 2008.
While Thompson was a restricted free agent and the Kings would have the right to match any contract offered him, General Manager Geoff Petrie still said re-signing Thompson was the team’s top priority in free agency, according to Jason Jones of The Sacramento Bee.
Should the deal with Thompson be finalized, it likely takes the Kings out of contention for Orlando Magic forward Ryan Anderson, who met with the Kings last week. If Thompson re-signs, the Kings would have 13 players officially under contract, including forward Thomas Robinson, the No. 5 overall pick in this years’ NBA Draft.





.jpg)




