After Martin Kampmann pulled off a stunning comeback victory over fellow welterweight contender Jake Ellenberger Friday at the "The Ultimate Fighter" Season 15 Finale, he made it clear he wanted a title bout next.
Despite interim champion Carlos Condit stating in the past that he wanted to wait for Georges St-Pierre to recover from a torn ACL, apparently he is getting antsy to fight again.
Don't expect any fight fans to complain about the recent change of heart.
"If it turns out Georges can't fight in November, most likely, I will fight somebody else. I really wanna fight Georges. I really wanna unify the belts, but there's also some other guys that I would like to fight as well. You know, Martin Kampmann's the only guy that I've lost to in the UFC, the only guy I've lost to in about the last six years, so I would definitely like to avenge that loss,"
Condit told "Inside MMA's" Ron Kruck (transcript courtesy of MMA Mania).
Condit lost a close split decision to "The Hitman" in his Octagon debut back on April 1, 2009.
Since then Condit has won five straight; most recently capturing the interim belt in his UFC 143 showdown with Nick Diaz.
Meanwhile, Kampmann has been quite active since then, going 5-3 during the same stretch. However, his losses to Jake Shields and Diego Sanchez were heavily disputed judges' decisions that many fans and analysts felt should have went the other way.
GSP has said on several occasions that his rehabilitation process is well ahead of schedule, but most fans would prefer to see Condit defend his belt at least once before meeting the 170-pound kingpin.
As of this writing, the more likely bout is Kampmann vs. Johnny "Bigg Rigg" Hendricks in a title eliminator bout sometime before the end of the year.
Hendricks boasts a four-fight win streak of his own and has just notched back-to-back victories over perennial contenders Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck.