NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Benches Clear in Fenway 🍿
HOUSTON, TX - OCTOBER 01: Jose Altuve #27 of the Houston Astros bats during Game 1 of the Wild Card Series presented by T-Mobile 5G Home Internet between the Detroit Tigers and the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park on Tuesday, October 1, 2024 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Alex Bierens de Haan/MLB Photos via Getty Images)
HOUSTON, TX - OCTOBER 01: Jose Altuve #27 of the Houston Astros bats during Game 1 of the Wild Card Series presented by T-Mobile 5G Home Internet between the Detroit Tigers and the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park on Tuesday, October 1, 2024 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Alex Bierens de Haan/MLB Photos via Getty Images)Alex Bierens de Haan/MLB Photos via Getty Images

Jose Altuve Would Change Positions to Help Astros Sign Alex Bregman to New Contract

Julia StumbaughJan 25, 2025

Jose Altuve says he is willing to move out of the infield in 2025 if it means bringing Alex Bregman back to Houston.

"We haven't talked about it, but for Alex, I'd do whatever," Altuve said Saturday when asked if he had discussed the potential position change with Astros manager Joe Espada (h/t Our Esquina's Lorenzo Delgado.)

Altuve continued: "He's one of the best players in the whole league, but he's definitely one of the best players on the team. So, we want him to stay. So whatever I have to do for him to stay, I'm willing to do it."

TOP NEWS

Cleveland Cavaliers v New York Knicks - Game One

Biggest Chokes Since 2000 😵

Athletics v Los Angeles Angels

Report: MLB Vet Unretires After 1 Day

Pittsburgh Pirates v Colorado Rockies

Livvy Dunne Explains Trending Reaction 🤣

When asked specifically if he would be willing to play outfield, Altuve answered, "I'll be willing to do everything if he stays."

When asked if he'd ever played outfield before, Altuve said, "Have you seen me?"

The 5-foot-6 career infielder continued: "I want to win, and he's going to be a guy that's going to make this team better. We have a better chance to win a championship with him. That's my answer. I'm willing to do whatever for him to stay."

The Astros offered Bregman a six-year, $156 million deal earlier this offseason, according to MLB.com's Brian McTaggart.

Bregman didn't accept the offer, and the team appeared to move on when they filled their infield by trading for Isaac Paredes and signing Christian Walker.

But McTaggart reported Saturday that a source says the Astros "wouldn't say 'no'" if Bregman now expressed interest in that same offer.

Astros general manager Dana Brown meanwhile said Saturday the door was still "cracked" for Bregman to come back to Houston:

If Altuve moves to left field, and Paredes agrees to move from third base, the Astros could conceivably fit Bregman back into the infield. Those moves may be part of why Brown called a potential Bregman return a "long shot" as of Saturday.

Benches Clear in Fenway 🍿

TOP NEWS

Cleveland Cavaliers v New York Knicks - Game One

Biggest Chokes Since 2000 😵

Athletics v Los Angeles Angels

Report: MLB Vet Unretires After 1 Day

Pittsburgh Pirates v Colorado Rockies

Livvy Dunne Explains Trending Reaction 🤣

MLB Farm System Rankings

Ranking Every Team's Farm System 📊

MLB Re-Draft

2020 MLB Re-Draft ⏮️

Kyle Busch's Cause of Death Released
Bleacher Report14h

Kyle Busch's Cause of Death Released

Family says NASCAR star's death occurred after 'severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis' (AP)

TRENDING ON B/R