July 16, 2008
July 14, 2008
I am someone who is thinking about a possible career in sports journalism, and when I found this website I figured it was a perfect way to explore that career path. I am more interested in broadcast journalism, but still thinking about writing.
When It comes to sports, I am all about the Baltimore Orioles. I also root for the Redskins, Ravens, and Wizards. I always have been and alway will be a fan of baseball ahead of other sports, but I really enjoy following football and basektball. Most of my writings and opinions will be baseball related, but don't count out the occasional NFL or NBA comment. I love sports and I love talking about sports, and so I'm glad to have found this site.
I would love it if you checked out my latest article, I hope that it gives us all the much needed inspiration.
"The cradles of eminence part2, the triumph of the human spirit"
1. Free agents- Of course the O's should go after free agents. The only problem is we will have to over pay for anyone. Once a culture of losing has been established it takes a lot for a guy to want to come here. Texiera is the one I would go after, he's a hometown guy and better than what we have at 1B right now in Millar. Huff could continue to be DH after the season he had this year. If there are any solid SS out there we should go after one of them as well.
2. Rising Stars- The three you mention we should wrap up for the next five to six years. They can be cornerstones of the organization, and definitely worth building around. Markakis was unhappy with his raise this season so they definitely need to give him what he wants. Jones I believe is still under contract though so we shouldn't have to worry about that. Gutherie is the best pitcher we have and need to make sure he stays here for a while.
3. Draft- I have no idea who we should draft. I never hear about these guys until they are in our system. As far as positions go we need a SS and some pitching.
4.Weiters- He did well in the minors this year and was surprised he didn't get called up in September for a tryout. I think he will compete with Ramon in Spring Training and will probably beat him out for the starting job, but I'm not sure we should just christian him the starter. He needs to earn it.
5. Trades- We should only trade people if we can get quality back for them. Don't trade anyone for the sake of trading them. BRob could bring back the most in return. I'd hate to see him go but if it would make the team better then do it. I don't see us getting much in return for anyone else other than Markakis, Jones and Gutherie and as I said they are guys to build around.
6. Matusz- audition him in Spring Training and see if he can make the club. If not let him develop in the minors. If he plays winter ball during the offseason he may have a better shot of making the bigs in the spring. Not sure if he's going to or not though.