Here are some pre-match facts about the two teams:
- Last season the Reds recorded a comfortable 3-0 win at St James' Park. Steven Gerrard scored just before the half-hour mark with Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel adding goals after the break.
- Liverpool won by the same score at Anfield with goals from Jermaine Pennant, Fernando Torres, and Steven Gerrard.
- Liverpool have won 17 and lost seven of the 30 Premier League meetings between the sides.
- Liverpool's biggest win at Newcastle came in October 1930 when they won 4-0. Their biggest defeat came in January 1934 when they lost 9-2.
- 92 goals have been scored in the 30 Premier League meetings between the sides, just over three per game.
- The last Liverpool player to score a hat-trick against Newcastle was Michael Owen in May 2001 at Anfield.
- Michael scored 13 goals in just nine league games for Liverpool against his current employers.
- In four of Liverpool's last five wins over Newcastle Steven Gerrard has scored.
- The last Newcastle hat-trick against Liverpool was scored by Andy Cole in November 1993 in his sides 3-0 home win.
- The Geordies have won just one of the last six meetings home and away. That was two seasons ago when they came from behind to win 2-1 after Craig Bellamy had given Liverpool the lead.
- Danny Guthrie played seven times for Liverpool with his last appearance coming against Newcastle on this ground in February 2007.
- Joe Kinnear has an excellent record as a manager against Liverpool. In 19 previous meetings in his career (all with Wimbledon) he has lost just three times and never been beaten at home in nine clashes.
- Current League Standings: (up to and including Christmas Day)
Liverpool: Pld 18 Won 11 Drawn 6 Lost 1 Goals For 27 Against 12 Points 39 Position: 1st
Newcastle: Pld 18 Won 5 Drawn 7 Lost 6 Goals For 24 Against 25 Points 22 Position: 12th