Here are the answers to yesterday’s quiz.
1. In 1976, Dock Ellis hit Baltimore’s Reggie Jackson in the face as revenge for the 1971 All-Star game home run the outfielder hit off him. Ellis had to wait five years to get back at Jackson because they had been playing in different leagues. That’s patience.
2. Jimmy Piersall of the Mets ran the bases facing backwards when he hit his 100th career home run in 1963.
3. Latrell Sprewell choked Warriors coach P.J. Carlesimo in 1997.
4. Former Met and Yankee, media-loving Dave Kingman once sent a live rat to a reporter.
5. Carl Everett holds the belief that dinosaurs didn’t exist and the Apollo moon landing was all a hoax.
6. Theo Fleury collected 216 penalty minutes in 2001-02 for the Rangers, with many game misconducts, because he was completely out of his mind back then.
7. Roger Clemens won 83 games for the Yanks, while David Wells won 68.
8. Billy Martin was fired by George Steinbrenner five times.
9. Vince Coleman swung a golf club in the Mets clubhouse and injured Dwight Gooden. He also enjoyed throwing firecrackers into a crowd of fans, and once said, “I don’t know nothing about no Jackie Robinson.”
10. In his autobiography, Lawrence Taylor admitted, “I saw coke as the only bright spot in my future.” It makes one proud to be a Giants fan.