Crazy. Angry. Drunk. Misunderstood. Just plain nuts. Just in time for Christmas here’s a quiz about some of the slightly off-kilter (or slightly insane) characters who have played in New York. The answers will be posted tomorrow.
1. When Dock Ellis (R.I.P.) pitched for the Yankees in 1976, who did he hit in the face with a pitch (on purpose), and why?
2. Which former New York player ran the bases facing backwards when he hit his 100th career home run?
3. Which coach did Latrell Sprewell strangle?
4. Which former New York baseball player once sent a live rat to a reporter?
5. Which former Met holds the belief that dinosaurs didn’t exist and the Apollo moon landing was all a hoax?
6. Which New York Ranger racked up 216 penalty minutes in 2001-02 because he was thrown out of just about every game he played in that season?
7. Which narcissistic, lard-ass pitcher won more games for the Yankees, David Wells or Roger Clemens?
8. How many times was Billy Martin fired by George Steinbrenner?
9. Which player swung a golf club in the Mets clubhouse, injuring Dwight Gooden?
10. Which New York player once admitted, “I saw coke as the only bright spot in my future”?
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!