On this Thanksgiving Day Eve, I thought I would take a moment and come up with some things to be thankful for as a baseball fan. So, here they are, in no particular order, 10 Baseball Things To Be Thankful for This Thanksgiving:
10. The new CBA. For years, baseball fans were the ones suffering through work stoppages and threats thereof. Now, with this new agreement, we can be assured of uninterrupted baseball through the 2016 season. Congratulations to both sides for getting it done!
9. Jackie Robinson. Need I say more? If not for him, so many players in MLB today wouldn't be there. Thank you, Jackie.
8. MLB Network. Wall-to-wall baseball coverage, all day, every day of the year.
7. Social Media. Thanks to sites like facebook and Twitter, fans can interact directly with their favorite players (or, the reps of those players).
6. Sportstalk Radio. It has its drawbacks, but there are few things more entertaining than listening to fans and show hosts argue over the finer points of the game.
5. BaseballReference.com. Chock full of information, this site is the go-to place for anyone even remotely connected to baseball.
4. Tony LaRussa. The careers of guys like Mariano Rivera might have turned out totally different had it not been for LaRussa's innovations.
3. Ballbug. I discovered this site years ago when, while checking my blog statistics, I noticed they had published a link to one of my blog posts. If you're looking for one place with links to all the baseball stories on the web, this is the place to go.
2. Bud Abbot and Lou Costello's "Who's On First" Routine. Still funny, no matter how many times I listen to it.
1. The (Insert favorite baseball team here.) For me, of course, that team is the New York Yankees. I hope your team has made you as happy as mine has made me.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!