- Thursday yielded no major moves for Milwaukee, but they did make a nice Rule 5 Draft pickup in RHP Eduardo Morlan: The 22-year-old excelled in the minors, posting insane K/IP rates. I’m excited to see how he’ll perform at the big league level...and I’ll probably see in March because Milwaukee has to keep him on its 25-man roster or Tampa either gets him back, or half of his $25,000 posting fee from Milwaukee.
- Fangraphs has more on Morlan HERE.
- See all the Brewers Rule 5 additions and subtractions HERE.
- Most are probably more concerned with the news of a possible deal with the Yankees involving Mike Cameron: After some surging and stalemates, the talks appear to be back on. In Melvin speak, “close to done” means it’s probably already completed. Friday should be an exciting day.
- Kei Igawa may be the missing piece in the Cameron/Cabrera deal: If this deal has to happen and it’s either Milwaukee taking on $4M/year of an unsuccessful 30-year-old pitcher with Cabrera OR paying some of Cameron’s salary and getting only Cabrera, I guess I’d be cool with Igawa...but I personally don’t think either scenario benefits Milwaukee.
- Melvin has his sights set on some oldies but goodies: Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, Jamie Moyer, and Randy Wolf were mentioned. Of those, I like Moyer most. Offer him two years, and he’s sure to sign.
- So Brewer fans lost an incredible player and person, but at least we know he’ll be appreciated in New York: I mean...they can’t put a negative spin on gaining such a great player? Can they?
- Buster Olney thinks Milwaukee’s time in the spotlight has passed.
- Between the Green Pillars wonders what Melvin is thinking.
- Arthur Rhodes/Reds is a go: Interesting fact, I actually know a guy named Arthur Rhodes… no shit! Swear to God, man! Not the same guy though.
- Peavy/Cubs is a no: I don’t know any Jake Peavys.
- The Pirates are close to deal with Ramon Vazquez: Snoresville.
- Kyle Farnsworth to get $9M over two years from KC?: I should have learned to pitch kind of OK, too.
- Joe Crede update, not that it seems to matter much now. LAMB!
- Junior Spivey sighting!: He’s said to be looking for a job. Best of luck to him getting another chance (outside of Milwaukee, that is).
- It was kind of overshadowed by the Winter Meetings, but MLB and the MLBPA adopted new recommendations for bat safety this week: It probably won’t help much, but it’s good to see bat companies will be held more responsible for their quality of their products. But still, aren’t broken bats kind of badass?