Welcome back to another "The Top Ten" and today I'm celebrating the "Rated R Superstar" Edge and his new DVD "Edge: Decade of Decadence". Enjoy the "Ultimate Opportunist" top ten matches:
10) Edge vs. Randy Orton (Raw-April 29, 2007) This match really went under the radar and I feel it should have been built into a feud as the two had been tagging together for about 8 months when their alliance broke up and this was the makeshift “Climax” of their mini-feud and the match was awesome. 25 minutes of great action and proof that Edge doesn’t need a ladder to truly shine in the ring.
9) Edge vs. Kurt Angle (Judgment Day 2002) This was a fun match made up of two young evenly matched men. The loser had to get his head shaved and if you have been following wrestling for the past five years then you already know who won, but if you haven’t seen this match wtach it anyways as it’s a great contest in which both of these young and hungry challengers are attempting to make a name for themselves. Both are now on top of their respective companies.
8) Money in the Bank Ladder Match (Wrestlemania 23) This match also involved Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Booker T, Cm Punk, Finlay, Mr. Kennedy, and Randy Orton. There is no doubt in my mind that Edge was the M.V.P of this match. He speared everyone in sight even spearing Cm Punk who had a ladder on his head that landed on Randy Orton and Finlay.
Oh and not to mention the dive that Jeff Hardy took onto him. This was probably the best Money in The Bank ladder match to date with everyone in the match doing whatever it took to win. Matt Hardy even threatened to “Twist of Fate” Booker T’s wife so he could win. At the end of the match Mr. Kennedy walked away with the victory, but he hadn’t won the war as Edge won the Money in the Bank shot from Kennedy just a few weeks later on Raw.
7) Edge vs. The Undertaker in a TLC Match (One Night Stand 2008) Undertaker, Chairs, Tables, ladders, and Edge, you know you’re in for a treat. This match was one of my personal favorites this year as it was one of the most exiting matches with all the action you could ever want. Hell they had a 43 year old Undertaker being thrown from a ladder to the outside of the ring threw four tables.
What more could you ask for? Edge banished The Undertaker (for a while), and reclaimed his World Heavyweight Championship in one of the most hardcore matches in quite some time.
6) Edge vs. Matt Hardy (Summer Slam 2005) This match happened right after Matt Hardy returned and the mad the real life story into an angle that the fans couldn’t get enough of. These two had a very brutal match. It got so bad that the referee had to stop the match after Hardy was unable to defend himself.
5) Edge vs. Chris Benoit in a Last Man Standing Match (Backlash 2005) One of Edge’s more underrated matches in my mind. Benoit had a beef with Edge after Edge screwed him out of the Money in the Bank shot at Wrestlemania 21 and the rest is pretty self explanatory. This match was a Last Man Standing match, very entertaining, but it came with a very strange ending. Edge used a brick he pulled out of his briefcase to get the ten count over Benoit. Still a great match for both men.
4) Edge vs. Shawn Michaels in a Street Fight (Raw- February 28, 2005) My favorite Raw match of all time. I had just got back into watching the WWE after a year or so of not watching. I was pleasantly surprised by this match as I wasn’t use to seeing good matches on regular Television. These two guys took it to each other with every ounce of energy they had. Shawn Michaels got the victory, but they both walked away with one of the best matches of their career.
3) Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boys vs. The Dudley Boys in a TLC Match (Summer Slam 2000) This is one of my personal favorites. The three teams where the hottest thing in the WWE at the time and they were reinventing the way tag team wrestling worked one ladder match at a time. It was the first TLC match and everyone since has been a letdown compared to this one. It was 20 minutes of nonstop action. A must see for any fan.
2) Edge vs. Ric Flair in a TLC Match (Raw-January 16, 2006) This match happened a couple of weeks after Edge’s WWE Championship win at New Year’s Revolution and a week after Edge and Lita’s “Sex Celebration” that Mr. Flair interrupted. So this match was for Edge’s WWE Championship and it was Ric Flairs first ever ladder match and on top of that it was in Flair’s hometown. Edge and Flair beat the holy crap out of each other in front of Ric Flair’s family in one of Raw’s best matches of 2006.
1) Edge vs. Mick Foley in a Hardcore Match (Wrestlemania 22) This match has made Edge what he is today. Without this match I doubt Edge would have been as big as he has become. He has himself and Mick Foley to thank for that. This match was just brutal. It was not wrestling it was straight up fighting and probably Edge’s biggest victory to date. This match will be remembered years from now for its ending in which Edge speared Mick Foley off the apron of the ring into a flaming table for the three count.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!