December 1, 2008
From the clues below, can you figure out what my name is before anyone else does?
- I was born in London during a 1950's winter
- I worked in the security profession before becoming a footballer
- Whilst playing junior football, I managed to attract the attention of a Manchester United scout—but I chose to play for another club
- I won a Player of the Year award in my first season as a professional footballer
- I had to move countries for the second team I played for
- I changed positions during the early days at my new club and started playing in midfield
- I was named Man of the Match in a victorious FA Cup final
- After a new manager took over, a difference in opinion meant I transferred south to my third club
- In the first season with my new club, we finished second in the top domestic league
- I co-wrote a very successful sports book
- I won the PFA players player of the year award
- I was given the nickname ''God'' by the supporters of the club I played over 250 games for
- I won my first international cap against Italy
- My last game was 12 years later against Wales
- I played 480 minutes over five matches in the Italian World Cup tournament
- One of my international managers was a legend at one of my previous clubs
What is my name?
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!