A few of these speculative adds are retreads, because they still are flying below the radar. Grab and stash before they explode or else you might miss the boat.
Some of our more recent hits in this column: Stevan Ridley last week, Isaac Redman after Week 2 and Kendall Hunter after Week 1. Ridley popped off in Week 4 against the Raiders, Redman may get the call now if Rashard Mendenhall misses any time and Hunter looks to be in a committee with Frank Gore.
Titus Young, WR, Lions: Still had a quiet day in a game the Lions were trailing most of the game. But he had more targets than No. 2 wide receiver Nate Burleson. I still think his big breakout is on the horizon, I just hope I do not have to wait much longer!
Donald Jones, WR, Bills: Jones had a quiet day due to muted numbers from Ryan Fitzpatrick, but he, too, had more targets than anyone not named Stevie Johnson.
Jacoby Jones, WR, Texans: Andre Johnson could be out for a few days or a few weeks according to his coach. Jones will step into the starting lineup and have an opportunity for some big fantasy days in a prolific offense.
Tim Tebow, QB, Broncos: His time is coming. I think. It seems the coaching staff is hesitant to give him a chance, but Tebow showed what he can do from a fantasy perspective during a brilliant four-game stretch last season.
Chris Ogbonnaya, RB, Texans: Not that he did anything this week (one carry, four yards), but Ben Tate got hurt and Derrick Ward is banged up. There is not much depth behind Arian Foster, and Tate already showed that being Foster’s backup can be lucrative.
Here are today’s great reads:
- With Week 4 in the rear view mirror, it is time for fantasy owners to turn their attention to Week 5. First order of business: The waiver wire, which figures to be active this week with guys like Ryan Torain, Stevan Ridley and Kendall Hunter out there in most leagues. [Fantasy Football Librarian]
- Good news for Shonn Greene owners: Head coach Rex Ryan has seen enough of the passing game through four weeks and wants to go back to the “ground and pound” style of football. [FFToolBox]
- More on Andre Johnson’s hamstring injury for those interested. Seems like the Texans are going to keep his status under wraps for the time being. Hope it is not too serious. [ProFootballTalk]
- Fantasy football revelations following Week 4 in the NFL. Frank Gore proved his injury was minor, but I think the time share between Gore and Kendall Hunter is here to stay. Might help keep Gore fresh — and uninjured — throughout the regular season. [National Football Post]
- Finally, some more waiver wire advice for those of you making claims this week. Remember the bye weeks start this week, so check your starting lineups for missing players this week. [RotoProfessor]
If you are a Tweeter, follow The Hazean on Twitter. If it is a good chuckle you desire, check out The Hazean’s Facebook page. Remember to follow (Twitter) and become a fan (Facebook) of The Hazean on both popular social networking sites.
If it is just more solid reading material that you crave, check out The Hazean’s Google Reader Shared Items page.