November 10, 2008
21. Casey Blake, Dodgers
- Blake is coming off a big year, having helped the Dodgers reach the NLCS. However, he prefers to play at a small venue and will likely return to the Midwest.
22. Jon Garland, Angels
- Garland is a solid pitcher who will eat a lot of innings. He is coming off a 14-win season and has dominated in years past, so he is an interesting character. I expect teams that miss out on their primary targets to go after him.
23. Andy Pettitte, Yankees
- Pettitte wants to play for the Yankees, and the Yankees would like him. Seems like a solid match.
24. Jamie Moyer, Phillies
- Moyer had a great year with the Phillies and is a leader in the clubhouse. Another one year deal after a 16-win season makes sense.
25. Randy Wolf, Astros
- Wolf did a great job for the Astros after he was let go by the Padres. The Astros have already expressed interest in resigning him.
26. Edgar Renteria, Tigers
- Renteria was let go by the Tigers after a rough season, but would likely bounce back playing for a good team in a strong, close clubhouse. A reunion in St. Louis makes sense.
27. Brad Penny, Dodgers
- Penny was let go by the Dodgers despite winning 38 games over the past three seasons. He is hurt, but I'm sure several teams will zero-in on him.
28. John Smoltz, Braves
- A career Brave, GM Frank Wren will bring him back.
29. Mark Grudzielanek, Royals
- Grudzielanek has kept a pretty solid average over the past couple of seasons and will likely land a back-up or platoon job somewhere.
30. Randy Johnson, Diamondbacks
- The Diamondbacks cannot afford to bring Randy Johnson back, so he will hit the open market looking to reach 300 wins.
This story was approved by MLB Rumors.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!