10 Bold Predictions for the Remainder of the Preseason
Kevin Kolb going to the Arizona Cardinals?
That was a no-brainer.
Nearly every report during the lockout focused on Kolb heading West, and they even detailed the Eagles would receive Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a draft pick.
Nnamdi Asomugha being stolen away by the Philadelphia Eagles?
Almost no one saw that coming.
I remember watching ESPN at one point when Adam Schefter said there was an 80 percent chance Asomugha would sign with the New York Jets, a 10 percent chance he would sign with the Dallas Cowboys and a 10 percent chance he would sign with any other team.
It's the unexpected that gets fans talking and leaves them shaking their heads in disbelief.
So what moves will leave fans stunned during the rest of the offseason?
No. 10: Kyle Orton Puts Tim Tebow on the Bench
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
I'm going to ease you into this list before I make you question my thinking.
Some think the Kyle Orton deal is dead while others think it's only a matter of time before it goes down according to ProFootballTalk.com
I'm taking what I think is only a slight risk and saying the deal is dead. And with that I think John Fox will reevaluate his thoughts on starting Tim Tebow.
Kyle Orton may not be the future, but it would make sense for Fox to begin his tenure in Denver with the quarterback who gives his team the best chance to win.
Orton's 11-17 record in Denver doesn't suggest he is a winner, but his consistent production has given the Broncos an opportunity to win despite not having much to work with around him.
In both seasons, Orton has thrown for more than 3,500 yards and 41 touchdowns against 21 picks.
It also makes sense to let Tebow learn the approach of a new coach before he is given the opportunity to make a name for himself as a franchise quarterback.
No. 9: Detroit Lions Improve Secondary With Carlos Rogers
Leon Halip/Getty Images
If the Philadelphia Eagles are making a ton of noise building a great defense, the Detroit Lions are quietly building a defense good enough to make a playoff push.
The Lions already added linebacker Stephen Tullock and cornerback Eric Wright through free agency and defensive tackle Nick Fairley through the draft to play with Ndamukong Suh and Kyle Vanden Bosch.
Detroit could bolster its defense if they can find a way to lure free agent cornerback Carlos Rogers away from Washington.
Who would have ever thought teams in the NFC North would have to worry about defending the pass more than the run?
No. 8: Asante Samuel Stays in Philadelphia
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
If there was a team who understands how much the passing game dominates the NFL, it would be the Philadelphia Eagles.
They know it because head coach Andy Reid and offensive coordinator Mary Mornhinweg base their offense on the pass, and they also saw plenty of teams torch their secondary last year.
The temptation to ship Asante out for a linebacker will certainly be tempting. But when Reid thinks about Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees standing in his way in the playoffs, he will think twice.
Reid has also come out and said he feels comfortable having three star cornerbacks due to his experience working with Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor and Al Harris.
This trio is better, but the idea is similar enough in Reid's mind to warrant keeping Samuel on board.
No. 7: Terrell Owens Signs With the Raiders
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy and Darrius Heyward-Bey are the three best receivers on the Oakland Raiders.
Zach Miller is gone, and Jason Campbell needs a go-to guy.
Terrell Owens would fit perfectly on the Raiders.
He would immediately be the No. 1 receiver on the depth chart, which would make him happy, and he would make everyone on the offense better, which would make first-year head coach Hue Jackson happy.
The Raiders were spurned once by a diva receiver when Randy Moss came to town. But this is a slightly different scenario.
Moss was still young, and he was coming from a high-powered offense in Minnesota. Moss could afford to mail it in because another shot was around the corner. And the adjustment to a futile offense in Oakland had to be a shock to his system.
Not only is Owens running out of teams, he is running out of time. He can't afford to burn any more bridges or take games off. And if there is one thing T.O. has going for him, it's his work ethic.
He's also coming from a terrible situation in Cincinnati, so no matter where he goes, it will feel like an upgrade.
No. 6: Randy Moss Signs With Jets
Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Speaking of the diva.
Randy Moss is all about Randy Moss.
At 34 years old, there is no way Moss wants to go through training camp if a team isn't willing to offer him a big pay day.
So why not sit back and wait for a team who needs depth at receiver to come calling right before the season starts?
The New York Jets fit the bill perfectly. They have Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress and then what?
Do Jets fans feel confident with Jerricho Cotchery?
They could use Moss to stretch the field, and he could present a ton of matchup problems with Burress on the opposite side when the Jets enter the red zone.
No. 5: Chris Johnson's Holdout Drags into Regular Season
Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images
Holdouts have one date circled: Aug. 9.
When that date rolls around players lose an accrued year toward free agency.
Johnson has earned enough money and has enough time on his side to dig in and fight past the impending deadline.
The early date will make players like DeSean Jackson report to camp because he simply can't afford to miss time on a $565,000 contract.
By moving the date up, Johnson actually has some leverage. Johnson will endure the worst of the holdout early on and have nothing to lose by continuing his holdout once the season starts.
I'm not sure if the Titans can go after some of his guaranteed money, but that might be the only way they can get one of the game's best running backs to return without giving him a new deal.
No. 4: Randall Cobb Will Overtake Jordy Nelson and Donald Driver
Andy Lyons/Getty Images
I'd like to say Randall Cobb is the next DeSean Jackson, but I don't want to sell this guy short.
Cobb will have a tough time climbing the depth chart at first glance, but the more you look at it, the more you realize he can make it happen.
The second-round draft pick out of Kentucky can do it all. He can catch the ball in the slot, blow the lid off a defense, run the Wildcat and return kicks.
Obviously it doesn't make much sense for the Packers to run the Wildcat because it takes away from Aaron Rodgers utilizing his skills. But finding creative ways to get Cobb the ball will not come in short supply.
Greg Jennings will be Rodgers' man, but after that, he will look to Cobb.
Donald Driver is breaking down as his body ages while Jordy Nelson may be more of a one-hit wonder than a consistent weapon.
When you hear Cobb, don't think of the guy in Arizona. Think of the kid out in Green Bay.
No. 3: Colin Kaepernick Beats Out Alex Smith
Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
The 49ers re-signed Alex Smith to a one-year deal worth $5 million.
It makes sense to assume Smith will once again go under center to start the season after San Francisco shelled out that kind of money.
Well, it doesn't make sense for rookie head coach Jim Harbaugh.
Why would he want to go down the same road as Mike Singletary?
If Harbaugh goes with Kaepernick he's actually in a win-win situation.
Let's pretend Kaepernick goes out there and is a total disaster. Harbaugh will find himself in a position to possibly land his fomer quarterback from Stanford, Andrew Luck.
And if Kaepernick goes out and plays well Harbaugh looks like a genius and will find himself in a position to win a weak NFC West.
No. 2: Keith Bulluck Goes to Philadelphia
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
The Eagles need to add some depth at linebacker.
Kirk Morrison keeps getting mentioned by the fans, so you can cross his name off the list.
Why not 34-year-old linebacker Keith Bulluck?
His age may be a deterrent, but it may actually work for him as well.
At 34, Bulluck is not looking for a starting role. He would be the perfect player to bring in and mentor a linebacking corps filled with rookies and second-year pros.
First-year defensive coordinator Juan Castillo could certainly use a little help and Bulluck can provide it.
Casey Matthews can learn how to use his natural instincts to play the position correctly, and Jamar Chaney can learn how defend against the pass to become a complete playmaker.
How unlikely is this move?
Earlier in the summer, Bulluck called LeSean McCoy an "Internet Gangster" during the Eagles/Giants Twitter feud.
No. 1: Reggie Bush Emerges as a Feature Back
Chris Graythen/Getty Images
This is No.1 for a reason.
The Miami Dolphins gave up three draft picks to get Kansas State running back Daniel Thomas late in the second round because he does it all.
Thomas catches the ball well out of the backfield and has the size to be an every down back.
Considering the investment and his bigger frame, Thomas seems like the logical choice to carry the load while Bush comes in when needed.
Where's Lee Corso? Not so fast my friends.
Bush may not have the frame, but he has the talent, speed and playmaking ability to take the position from Thomas and finally get his opportunity to be a feature back in the NFL.
And before everyone gets too excited on Thomas, you need to remind yourself he played two years in junior college and only two years at Kansas State.
There is a legit shot he will struggle adjusting to the NFL. Bush should know that better than anyone as he never could bring his game from USC to New Orleans.
But with that knowledge, Bush should be prepared to take over if Thomas falters in camp.