India Cricket logoIndia Cricket

Cricket Bytes: 7 Quotes to Rock You in Your Arm Chair

Linus FernandesAnalyst IIJuly 31, 2011

Cricket Bytes: 7 Quotes to Rock You in Your Arm Chair

Test cricket still rules Brittania, and this time, it's the series between India and England that's making waves.

Where there's exciting cricket, there are interesting comments and remarks made by those involved.

Here are a few quotes from cricketers and experts over the past two weeks, and more importantly, what they did and did not mean by them.

Rahul Dravid Emulates Sunny Gavaskar

“In days of my backyard cricket, I was either a Gavaskar or a Vishwanath.”

Rahul Dravid is justifiably proud of equalling Sunny Gavaskar’s record of 34 Test centuries in the second Test at Trent Bridge.

“Those were my childhood heroes. Neither kept wickets though. (Or did they?)”

“I’m unsure what to do next: Commentate or select (the Indian squad).”

Sreesanth Is at Peace with Himself

“Silence is the speech of the spiritual seeker. I am spiritual now.”

Shantakumara Sreesanth attributes his serene behaviour in the second Test at Trent Bridge to his newly discovered spirituality.

“Sreesanth, the Peaceable, trumped Sreesanth, the Terrible.”

“I’m the new Dalai Lama.”

Shane Warne Is Hurley's Man

"Yes, I’m still a man."

Shane Warne is not ashamed at being labelled a metrosexual. He’s masculine enough for Elizabeth Hurley.

“Losing 22 pounds,sporting a new hairstyle and clothes, having my eyebrows plucked and using moisturising cream does not make me less of a man, does it?”

What he really didn’t:

“I don’t know what Liz saw in me.”

Ronnie Irani Believes That the Indians Might Be Steam-Rollered

“Go and play like Pietersen plays.”

Ronnie Irani is convinced that the Indians were not quite aware of their No. 1 status and were overawed by the occasion in the first Test at Lords. They were way too defensive and much too passive.

The former English cricketer exhorts them to take the bull by the horns and “play like KP does.” He adds: “They are the No. 1 cricketing nation and if they don’t attack, England will tear apart their mental state.”

“For the No.1 side, the Indians were not quite fearless enough.”

“Flex your six-pack (if you have one) every chance you get.”

Kapil Dev Is Not Convinced Dhoni Understands Test Cricket

"Dhoni has made mockery of Test cricket by bowling (himself).”

Kapil Dev is less-than-enthused over Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s decision to be the spare bowler in Zaheer Khan’s absence due to a hamstring injury in the first Test at Lords.

“First he took away my glory at being India’s only World Cup winning captain, now he wants to bowl medium-pace as well. Where will he stop?”

“Dhoni da jawab nahin.”

Damien Is Wright About John

“I used to love watching him as a kid because he had the same last name as me.”

Damien Wright kids you not. If you have the same last name as him, he will be your fan for life. Lucky for him, that’s a whole lot of Wrights. D is New Zealand’s bowling coach while J is the head coach.

“John Wright was a classy bat and it helped no little bit that he had the very same surname.”

“I was offered the job because I had the same last name as John.”

Saurav Ganguly Is Concerned About the Next Tendulkar

“You’ll not get another Sachin Tendulkar in a short time, or it could be you never get a Sachin Tendulkar.”

Saurav Ganguly is an unabashed Sachin Tendulkar fan.

“A genius like Tendulkar comes along once in a generation or two.”

“We’re cloning Tendulkars at Eden Gardens and Wankhede.”

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices