Another head-spinning day in the condensed NFL offseason, yesterday was dominated by some big trades across the league. Fantasy implications abound:
1. The Saints traded Reggie Bush to Miami
New Orleans wanted to bring Bush back, but could not afford him. So instead of cutting Bush, the Saints shipped him off to Miami for some chump change. Better than getting nothing in return, I suppose. Good move for both Pierre Thomas and Daniel Thomas, however.
2. Chad Ocho Cinco gets traded to Cincinnati
I thought the Bengals weren’t in the business of trading players who wanted out? So much for that, Mike Brown. Instead of trading your top commodity, starting quarterback Carson Palmer, you let him retire and trade disgruntled wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco to arguably the best team in the AFC. Good job.
3. Greg Olsen gets traded to the Panthers
Carolina has been aggressive in free agency. They kept DeAngelo Williams and are planning to keep Steve Smith, acquired Jeremy Shockey from the Saints before the lockout and now traded for Greg Olsen. Some nice pieces in place here if Cam Newton can do anything at the quarterback position. The NFC South has to be one of the toughest divisions this season.
4. Kevin Kolb finally lands in Arizona after all the speculation
Seemed like the Kolb-to-Arizona talk lasted longer than the NFL-lockout-is-almost-over talk. Finally, the deal has been made and the Cardinals have their man. Larry Fitzgerald is going to be a happy camper and should see his fantasy stock rebound.
Here are today’s great reads:
- Here is a little bit of cold water for those of you who, like me, kind of like the Seattle offense now this year: Sindey Rice and Tarvaris Jackson were not that productive together in Minnesota. You would think they would have some chemistry already, but maybe not so much. [ProFootballTalk]
- More on the implications of the Kevin Kolb to Arizona trade. Obviously you can draft Larry Fitzgerald with confidence again. But what about Kolb? Where do you rank him? I plan on breaking out some rankings soon, so stay tuned. [Roto Arcade]
- DeAngelo Williams re-upped handsomely with the Panthers, sending Jonathan Stewart’s ascending fantasy value into an epic tailspin. Relegated to RB2 duties on his own team again, fantasy owners will not draft JStew with any confidence heading into the season. [RazzBall]
- A little bit of market research for those of you with early fantasy football drafts. Always a good idea to figure out some value and where players are headed before the big day. Adjust your rankings accordingly. [CBSSports]
- Mike Thomas is going to be the No. 1 WR in Jacksonville this year, and I know what you are thinking: Who in the heck is Mike Thomas? [RotoProfessor]
If you are a Tweeter, follow The Hazean on Twitter. If it is a good chuckle you desire, check out The Hazean’s Facebook page. Remember to follow (Twitter) and become a fan (Facebook) of The Hazean on both popular social networking sites.
If it is just more solid reading material that you crave, check out The Hazean’s Google Reader Shared Items page.