I should have taken my vacation this week.
Last week I sat around at the beach waiting for the NFL lockout to end, but it did not come until Monday morning. And while we all knew this would be a busy week in the NFL, it really got off to a kind of slow start on Monday afternoon though there were some critical moves from a fantasy football perspective.
But things are really starting to pick up now, and it is hard to keep up with when you have a full-time day job.
Yesterday was a big day in the fantasy football world with some big names making waves. Here is a look at yesterday’s influential moves:
1. DeAngelo Williams resigns with the Carolina Panthers
So much for Jonathan Stewart in my keeper league. Going back to the drawing board on that one. The Panthers ponied up some serious cash to keep DWill in town, which means he is going to star in that offense again.
2. Three potential QB trades in the works: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota, Kyle Orton to Miami and Kevin Kolb to Arizona
Looks like the McNabb deal is all-but-done. Should be announced today. Orton to Miami would be really good for Brandon Marshall’s value. And the same is true for Larry Fitzgerald if the Cards can land Kevin Kolb soon.
3. Sidney Rice to the Seahawks
In a somewhat shocking move, Seattle lands Rice just a day after acquiring Tarvaris Jackson. Both are reunited with their former offensive coordinator in Minnesota. Seattle is being very aggressive and will be a trendy under-the-radar offense in fantasy football now with Rice, Marshawn Lynch and Jackson in a bad division.
4. Santonio Holmes sticks to the Jets, Redskins sign a bunch of old wide receivers, Steve Breaston to the Chiefs and Lance Moore re-ups with the Saints
The Jets had two big free agent wide receivers to address and re-signed the better of the two in Holmes. Braylon Edwards may walk now. Meanwhile, the Redskins re-upped Santana Moss and signed Brandon Stokley and Jabar Gaffney. No word on whether or not Ashley Lelie was available. The Chiefs continue to beef up the receiving corps by bringing in Steve Breaston. And finally, the Saints re-signed Lance Moore for five years.
Here are today’s great reads:
- More fantasy reaction on the Sidney Rice move to Seattle. I know it sounds crazy and maybe I am a little punch-drunk from the agressiveness of the Seahawks (I like it), but I really think this is a dangerous offense this season. Watch out for TJack. [Roto Arcade]
- Donovan McNabb to Minnesota makes a lot of sense for the Vikings. The window of opportunity is closing here and Adrian Peterson only has a few more elite seasons left. But will McNabb make fantasy waves in Minnesota? Going to need to find a new No. 1 receiver with Rice gone. [Fantasy Knuckleheads]
- If the Jets do let Braylon Edwards walk, which is very likely, the chances are improving that they bring Randy Moss into the fold. It makes sense: Same type of receiver as Edwards, just better. [National Football Post]
If you are a Tweeter, follow The Hazean on Twitter. If it is a good chuckle you desire, check out The Hazean’s Facebook page. Remember to follow (Twitter) and become a fan (Facebook) of The Hazean on both popular social networking sites.
If it is just more solid reading material that you crave, check out The Hazean’s Google Reader Shared Items page.