2012 NFL Mock Draft: Chicago Bears Add Complement to Receiving Corps
The Chicago Bears have plenty of speed in the receiving corps with Johnny Knox and Devin Hester, the kind of speed that can cause safeties to drop back a little farther in coverage.
But when you don't have a big, physical wideout who can be your possession receiver and catch balls up the middle, you're still going to have problems in the passing game.
The Bears have needed a reliable possession receiver for a while now.
But in the 2012 NFL Draft, they may finally find their answer in Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd at No. 29 overall.
Hester, the No. 2 receiver for the Bears, has always had the potential to make a big play, but he only had 40 catches in 16 games last season.
You need a guy who can muscle his way into short catches as well in the NFL.
Now, Floyd doesn't come without his problems. He's currently suspended by the Fighting Irish after three brushes with the law that were alcohol-related. He's expected to be reinstated by the team this coming season, but he's already earned the tab of being a player with "character concerns."
However, there's no denying his talent. Last year with the Fighting Irish, Floyd had 79 catches for over 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns. At 6-foot-3, 227 pounds, he's essentially exactly what the Bears need to complement their receiving corps.
He has good hands, a nice frame and certainly has the knack for making the big play when it's needed. He just needs to work on his focus, both on and off the field. His talent is there and if he can stay out of trouble he could be a legit possession receiver for Bears quarterback Jay Cutler in the National Football League.
It just depends on if the Bears will risk their first-round pick on Floyd. I think they will, considering it's a big need and the team didn't spend a draft pick in 2011 on a receiver.
|1. Carolina Panthers: Quinton Coples |
2. Washington Redskins: Andrew Luck
3. Denver Broncos: Matt Barkley
4. Arizona Cardinals: Matt Kalil
|17. Kansas City Chiefs: Manti Te'o|
18. New York Giants: Zach Brown
19. Jacksonville Jaguars: Vontaze Burfict
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cliff Harris
|5. Tennessee Titans: Jerel Worthy |
6. Buffalo Bills: Donte Paige-Moss
7. Seattle Seahawks: Dre Kirkpatrick
8. Cincinnati Bengals: Trent Richardson
|21. St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon|
22. San Diego Chargers: Keenan Robinson
23. Indianapolis Colts: Jeff Fuller
24. Philadelphia Eagles: Travis Lewis
|9. Cleveland Browns: Alshon Jeffery |
10. Minnesota Vikings: Jonathan Martin
11. San Francisco 49ers: Stephon Gilmore
12. Oakland Raiders: Janoris Jenkins
|25. New England Patriots: Andre Branch|
26. Cleveland Browns: Mike Adams
27. Baltimore Ravens: Robert Lester
28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kelechi Osemele
|13. Miami Dolphins: Landry Jones |
14. Detroit Lions: Luke Kuechly
15. Dallas Cowboys: Jayron Hosley
16. Houston Texans: Ray-Ray Armstrong
|29. Chicago Bears: Michael Floyd|
30. New York Jets: Brandon Jenkins
31. New England Patriots: Jared Crick
32. Green Bay Packers: Chase Minnifield
Most recent updates:
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?