Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said in a statement, "We have decided to end our contractual relationship with Jorge Valdano." This claim was made just moments after Perez had exited a meeting with the Board of Directors early Wednesday.
Valdano saw limited success in his return role to the club in 2009 as Sporting Director, and was sometimes in the headlines of the Spanish press for the wrong reasons. It's well documented that the former Madrid manager clashed heads with Mourinho after Valdano complained to the media earlier in the season about Karim Benzema's playing time, and notable exclusions in the starting 11 while Gonzalo Higuain was out rehabilitating from knee surgery.
Perez said at the press conference that Madrid are restructuring the club's interior and trying to replicate the organization of English Premier League clubs. This is what Mourinho is more comfortable and accustomed to.
Perez is now showing great strides in a commitment to his manager and a willingness to change if it results in winning.
With Mourinho totally in control of personnel decisions, it will be fascinating to see who is brought in to sculpt his team, in addition to who is expendable in the plans of the "Special One."
With two signings from the Bundesliga already this summer, Nuri Sahin and Hamit Altintop, the moves seem to be Mourinho's: defensive, conservative, but invaluable to a team building chemistry and depth with supplementary players.
Real Madrid also have signed 24-year-old Jose Maria Callejon from Espanyol. The former Madrid youngster netted six goals this season and was a constant threat on the flanks.
Who will be Madrid's next summer signing?
What defensive transfers will Mourinho bring in to bolster the back line?
Will Los Merengues be able to knock Barca off their perch now that Mourinho is pulling all the personnel strings?