The Yankees took two of three from the Texas Rangers this past weekend, but it could very well have been just one of three. Thanks to the long ball and a breakout game by a certain Yankee captain, they won the series. By doing so they also won the season series between the two teams four games to two.
1. Ivan Nova pitched 7.1 innings in Game 1, the longest outing of his career. Nova is a ground ball pitcher and he had the ground balls working in this game. He's really progressed nicely this season and I can't wait for his next start.
2. Yanks dig the long ball. Eight balls left the yard in this series. There were home runs by Teixeira, Swisher, Cervelli (grand slam), Granderson (3) and Jeter (2). Granderson now leads the AL with 11 homers.
3. Speaking of Derek Jeter, he sent the fans and the media a message yesterday with the day he had. The message: "I'm still alive and kicking." In addition to his two home runs, he stole his first base of the season. He was 4-6 with three RBI and two runs scored.
1. Bartolo Colon had his first bad start of the season in Game 2, giving up five runs in the first two innings of game. He lasted only 4.1 innings. Hopefully it's not the beginning of the end for him.
2. Boone Logan, the only Yankee lefty out of the bullpen, didn't do the job, taking the loss in Game 2. His doom was sealed when the Rangers put the suicide squeeze on in the bottom of the sixth inning, resulting in the go-ahead run crossing the plate.
3. The finale of the series was a really sloppy game for the Yankees. Officially they made four errors but they played worse than that. They could have lost this game had it not been for all the home runs and Jeter's good day.
The Melkman returns! The Kansas City Royals come to town tomorrow for a three-game series and with them, former Yankee Melky Cabrera. It'll be his first appearance at the Stadium since the 2009 World Series. Melky wasn't the best player the Yankees had by any means, but he was a fan favorite. I'm really looking forward to watching him play in this series.