2011 NFL Mock Draft: Will Top Prospect Fall Far Enough for Atlanta Falcons?
2011 NFL Mock Draft Has Kerrigan Falling to Late First Round
In a draft class that’s chock-full of supposedly elite defensive linemen, the one guy who has always struck me as a mite overrated is Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan. The numbers – 26 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks in 2010 – and the intangibles are there, but his relative lack of athleticism makes me wonder if he’s going to be able to make an impact in the NFL.
Nevertheless, it’s looking like there’s a pretty good chance that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will take Kerrigan with the No. 20 pick. If they pass on him, however, he’s probably going to slide. But if he makes it to the Atlanta Falcons at No. 27, I think that’s where you’ll see him come off the board.
The Falcons don’t have many needs, but defensive end is one of them. John Abraham is still good, but he’s not as young as he once was. Kroy Biermann is nothing special on the other side, so there will be playing time for Kerrigan if the Falcons take him.
If the Falcons don’t take Kerrigan, a different DE could be in the cards. They could also take a tight end like Kyle Rudolph to be the heir apparent to Tony Gonzalez or a wide receiver like Torrey Smith to help out Roddy White.
In other words, who knows what they’re going to do?
|1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB |
2. Denver Broncos: Von Miller, OLB
3. Buffalo Bills: Marcell Dareus, DT
4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR
|17. New England Patriots: Cameron Jordan, DE|
18. San Diego Chargers: Muhammad Wilkerson
19. New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn, DE
|5. Arizona Cardinals: Blaine Gabbert, QB |
6. Cleveland Browns: Da'Quan Bowers, DE
7. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB
8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT
|21. Kansas City Chiefs: Akeem Ayers, OLB|
22. Indianapolis Colts: Nate Solder, OT
23. Philadelphia Eagles: Jimmy Smith, CB
24. New Orleans Saints: Brooks Reed, OLB
|9. Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, OT |
10. Washington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR
11. Houston Texans: Prince Amukamara, CB
12. Minnesota Vikings: Robert Quinn, DE
|25. Seattle Seahawks: Jake Locker, QB|
26. Baltimore Ravens: Mike Pouncey, OG
27. Atlanta Falcons: Ryan Kerrigan, DE
28. New England Patriots: Justin Houston, OLB
|13. Detroit Lions: Aldon Smith, DE |
14. St. Louis Rams: Corey Liuget, DT
15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB
16. Jacksonville Jaguars: J.J. Watt, DE
|29. Chicago Bears: Gabe Carimi, OT|
30. New York Jets: Phil Taylor, DT
31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB
32. Green Bay Packers: Derek Sherrod, OT
Most recent updates:
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?