The 2011 NFL draft will be the first draft in a few years where the No. 1 overall pick is not a lock heading into draft day.
After Cam Newton had a decent combine and good pro days, all eyes were on the Auburn QB to go to the Panthers at No. 1.
Hold on though. The No. 1 pick in the draft should not have all the baggage and the questions surrounding Newton. The No. 1 pick should be a sure thing. He should be someone that a franchise can count on for the next 10 years.
Cam Newton is not that guy. He may turn into a Pro Bowler, but I do not think that you take a chance on someone with as much bust potential as Newton when you have the first overall pick.
A more likely and safer choice for the struggling Carolina franchise would be either Blaine Gabbert or Marcell Dareus.
Find out who eventually goes No. 1 and who falls out of the first round in my third mock draft of the season.
|1. Carolina Panthers: Blaine Gabbert, QB |
2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DT
3. Buffalo Bills: Cam Newton, QB
4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR
|17. New England Patriots: Aldon Smith, DE
18. San Diego Chargers: Muhammad Wilkerson, DE
19. New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cameron Heyward, DE
|5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, LB |
6. Cleveland Browns: Julio Jones, WR
7. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB
8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT
|21. Kansans City Chiefs: Gabe Carimi, OT
22. Indianapolis Colts: Nate Solder, OT
23. Philadelphia Eagles: Jimmy Smith, CB
24. New Orleans Saints: Da'Quan Bowers, DE
|9. Dallas Cowboys: Tyron Smith, OT |
10. Washington Redskins: Robert Quinn, DE
11. Houston Texans: J.J. Watt, DE
12. Minnesota Vikings: Cameron Jordan, DE
|25. Seattle Seahawks: Derek Sherrod, OT
26. Baltimore Ravens: Adrian Clayborn, DE
27. Atlanta Falcons: Danny Watkins, OG
28. New England Patriots: Justin Houston, LB
|13. Detroit Lions: Prince Amukamara, CB |
14. St. Louis Rams: Corey Liuget, DT
15. Miami Dolphins: Mike Pouncey, OG
16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE
|29. Chicago Bears: Phil Taylor, DT
30. New York Jets: Brooks Reed, DE
31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB
32. Green Bay Packers: Akeem Ayers, LB