Not much going on on the minor league front for the Orioles.
Three of the organization's four games were postponed due to rain, and will be made up at a later date. The only game that took place was the second game of Norfolk's series with Charlotte.
Charlotte 5, Norfolk 0.
The Tides looked like they would have preferred a rain-out as well, notching only three hits all night off of the Knights.
Charlotte starter Jeff Marquez pitched brilliantly, allowing only three hits and racking up six strikeouts. The Knights' bullpen finished off the Tides with two perfect innings, securing the victory, and ensuring a 0-2 start for Norfolk.
There were literally no highlights for the Tides, who could only muster three singles, grounded into a poorly timed double-play, and went 0-for-2 with RISP.
- The Tides are now 0-for-9 on the season with RISP.
- Tyler Henson picked up his third hit of the season and is hitting .500 through two games.
- Gookie Dawkins continued his assault on Norfolk's pitching staff, hitting another homer, his second in as many games, another solo shot in the 8th-inning off of Mark Worrell. Gawkins finished 3-for-4 with three RBI and a stolen base.
- On the mound, Rick VandenHurk took the loss, throwing 63 pitches in three-innings. The right-hander from the Netherlands gave up two runs on five hits.
- The bullpen didn't fare much better. Pat Egan gave up two runs on three hits in three-innings, including a two-run HR to Stefan Gartrell. Worrell pitched one inning and served up the HR to Dawkins.
- I take that back...Clay Rapada is the highlight of the night, pitching one scoreless inning, striking out two batters.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!