The Michigan coaching staff got a late start to the 2012 recruiting class. When they started at Michigan, they only had a couple of weeks to put together a 2011 class. How in the world would they be able to make up ground on the 2012 class when other programs had a 12-month start?
Well, it looks like they are starting to close that gap. Michigan has two offensive lineman committed already and is looking at some top prospects on both lines, a QB, linebackers, TEs, a FB and depth at the other positions.
As we know, Michigan and Ohio are loaded with talent this year. Brady Hoke and staff have already made a big impact on the high school coaches in Michigan and he grew up in Ohio, so he has connections in that state as well.
Here are some top prospects to keep your eye on:
- Zeke Pike is a 5-star QB from Kentucky that will be able to pick any school he wants. He was up at Michigan last week and reports are that the Wolverines are in the mix for this young man. Zeke is friends with incoming freshman Chris Barnett and Zeke has said he will recruit other top guys to the school he picks. He has been talking up Michigan lately. Keep an eye on Zeke and his recruitment.
- Local TE Ron Thompson is now a 4-star prospect on Scouts. He is expected to be a strong lean to Michigan and could announce in the next week or two.
- Ohio MLB Kaleb Ringer, who is making his announcement on 4/15 at 6:00, is also a 4-star on Scouts and is expected to put on a navy blue, block "M" hat during his announcement.
- Other Scouts 4-star prospects that Michigan has a good shot at: Toledo's Chris Wormley, James Ross, Royce Jenkins-Stone, Terry Richardson and Chicago's Jordan Diamond.
- TomVH has information up on Austin Appleby, Antonio Morrison and Kelby Latta.
Michigan has a good shot at all the prospects mentioned above. Could Michigan have a top-10 or top-five class this year? Yes, they could. Look for a couple of commits before the spring game and many recruits in attendance. The Michigan coaches got a late start but I am starting to feel optimistic on a strong finish.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!