You read that right.
Despite the terrible grammar, that guy is correct. The Tampa Bay Rays not only made the playoffs, but also won the AL East. That means for the first time in Derek Jeter's career, the Yankees did NOT make the playoffs. I want to repeat that because it makes me happier every time I say it:
The Yankees did NOT make the playoffs.
So what else happened this year?
- Josh Hamilton went from the most famous rehab story in the history of the United States to MLB obscurity as soon as the Home Run Derby was over. Seriously, I don't even think the Texas Rangers broadcasting crew talk about him anymore.
- The Boston Red Sox have 17 different pitchers on the DL.. right now.
- The Chicago Cubs went almost completely wire-to-wire in winning its second straight NL Central title and clinching home field advantage for the playoffs.
- We found out that Fukudome sucks but Jim Edmonds is a god.
- CC Sabathia can only be beaten by the Chicago Cubs and my also be a cyborg.
- The New York Mets have absolutely no will to win. None. They just don't care.
- Yankee Stadium is getting torn down, have you heard?
- So is Shea Stadium for the ten of you that care.
- This is probably the last baseball season that doesn't include George W. Bush. I know former Presidents Bush and Clinton will want nothing to do with him after his reign, and he'll be forced to do the only thing he's really good at: sit in Texas and watch baseball.
- "Go Cubs Go" is more fun than Journey.
- Manny Ramirez is the only reason you can name a player on an NL West squad.
- They're going to tear down Yankee Stadium!
- Houston fans have a great t-shirt: (front) "We survived Ike!"; (back) "Bud killed us!"
- Carlos Zambrano's no-hitter is the only quality start thrown by him since August 21st.
- K-Rod is really, really good.
- Ozzie Guillen has Tourrettes and can't help himself from being an idiot in front of a microphone.
So now that the season is over what happens in the playoffs?
- It never mattered who won the AL Central or NL West.
- We could potentially have the most watched World Series ever in Cubs vs. Red Sox.
- MLB will file for bankruptcy if the Rays play the Brewers in the Series.
- The Yankees and Yankees Stadium will still be talked about infinitely more often than it should.
- The Cubs finally win the World Series again, creating the black holes that were not caused by the Large Hadron Collider in Europe.