Our 2011 fantasy baseball projections will be released one-by-one until the top 100 players have been revealed. These rankings consider past achievements, current performance and expected future results based on standard 5×5 H2H settings.
In 2009, Baseball America raved about Mat Latos’ “ridiculously good raw stuff,” and they weren’t lying. Latos flashed a devastating fastball/slider combo in 2010, which led to some of the best plate discipline stats in the majors:
- O-swing rate: 33.9 percent (6th)
- Contact rate: 76.1 percent (7th)
- Swinging strike rate: 11.0 percent (5th)
During a 15-start stretch from June into September, Latos allowed one run or fewer 10 times and yielded exactly two runs in the other fives starts. During this streak, Latos posted an eye-popping 1.50 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, 10.65 K/9, 2.24 BB/9 in 96 1/3 innings.
For the season, Latos ended with a 2.92 ERA and a 1.08 WHIP. His strikeout rate (9.21) was eighth-best among qualified starters, while his advanced command led to a walk rate of 2.44.
Oh, and by the way, he accomplished all this in his age-22 season.
Of course, Petco Park certainly aided Latos’ incredible production, but his 2010 FIP (3.00) and xFIP (3.36) suggest he was, and will continue to be very good.
While it’s difficult to project any major improvement in 2011, Latos shouldn’t regress much. Expect elite strikeout totals, excellent command and a low-threes ERA in his second full season.
|2011 FBI Forecast||195||15||9.00||2.70||3.25||1.15|
ORIGINAL ARTICLE: FANTASY BASEBALL INSIDERS
Fantasy Baseball Insiders’ 2011 Big Board:
- Top 50 (projections included): Is Pujols Still the Top Pick?
- Nos. 51-60: Jimenez, Verlander, Carpenter or Sabathia?
- No. 61: Carlos Santana
- No. 62: Buster Posey
- No. 63: Kendry Morales
- No. 64: Adrian Beltre
- No. 65: Alexei Ramirez
- No. 66: Jered Weaver
- No. 67: Jacoby Ellsbury
- No. 68: Dan Haren
- No. 69: Jose Bautista
Latest from Fantasy Baseball Insiders:
- 2011 MLB Team-By-Team Spring Training Injury Report
- Adam Wainwright to Undergo Tommy John Surgery: Updated Pitcher Rankings
- Keeper Conundrum: Bryce Harper or Mike Trout?
30 Teams in 30 Days Fantasy Preview:
MLB Trades: Fantasy Impact:
- Frank Francisco Traded to the Blue Jays, Who Will Be The Team’s Closer?
- Mike Napoli Traded to the Texas Rangers: Fantasy Impact
- Vernon Wells Traded to the Los Angeles Angels: Fantasy Impact
Previous articles from Fantasy Baseball Insiders: