The release of the 2008 edition of the USA Today Coaches' Poll got me thinking: Why do the coaches get to vote for the best team, but the players don’t get to vote for the best coach? I would love to see a weekly ranking of the best coaches in college football today.
Sure, it doesn’t make much sense in the grand scheme of things, but it sure is interesting.
Thus, I’ve decided that this college football season there will be a Top 25 for coaches. Sure, it is purely subjective at the beginning of the season (much like the other polls), but as the season moves forward, so will the poll.
It will work much like the other weekly polls—you lose, you drop. A win over another ranked coach counts for more than a win over an unranked coach, and well...you get the idea.
So without further adieu...the 2008 Top 25 College Football Coaches Rankings (Week Five Edition).
1. Nick Saban, Alabama: beat No. 3 Georgia 41-30 (last week: 4)
2. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: beat No. 24 TCU 35-10 (last week: 5)
3. Les Miles, LSU: beat Mississippi State 34-24 (last week: 3)
4. Mack Brown, Texas: beat Arkansas 52-10 (last week: 6)
5. Pete Carroll, USC: lost to Oregon State 27-21 (last week: 1)
6. Jim Tressel, Ohio State: beat Minnesota 34-21 (last week: 8)
7. Gary Pinkel, Missouri: BYE (last week: 9)
8. Joe Paterno, Penn State: beat No. 22 Illinois 38-24 (last week: 10)
9. Bronco Mendenhall, BYU: BYE (last week: 14)
10. Jim Leavitt, South Florida: beat NC State 41-10 (last week: 16)
11. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn: beat to Tennessee 14-12 (last week: 13)
12. Mark Richt, Georgia: lost to No. 8 Alabama 41-30 (last week: 7)
13. Urban Meyer, Florida: lost to Ole Miss 31-30 (last week: 2)
14. Mike Leach, Texas Tech: BYE (last week: 17)
15. Mike Bellotti, Oregon: beat Washington State 63-10 (last week: 15)
16. Chris Petersen, Boise State: BYE (last week: 18)
17. Jim Grobe, Wake Forest: lost to Navy 24-17 (last week: 11)
18. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech: beat Nebraska 35-30 (last week: 19)
19. Pat Hill, Fresno State: beat UCLA 36-31 (last week: 21)
20. Dennis Erickson, Arizona State: BYE (last week: 20)
21. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State: beat Indiana 42-29 (last week: 23)
22. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin: lost to Michigan 27-25 (last week: 12)
23. Rich Brooks, Kentucky: beat Western Kentucky 41-3 (last week: 24)
24. Brady Hoke, Ball State: beat Kent State 41-20 (last week: unranked)
25. Randy Edsall, Connecticut: beat Louisville 26-21 (last week: unranked)
On the fence: Kyle Whittingham, Utah; Jeff Tedford, Cal; David Cutcliffe, Duke; Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern; Todd Graham, Tulsa
Dropped out: Skip Holtz, East Carolina; Bo Pelini, Nebraska