While I was doing research for one of my articles, I came across one of these quotes and thought to myself, "There is no way." Turns out, there was a way. Lots of them.
Just for fun, I looked up these brilliant quotes said by some of today's most highly respected athletes. I have to say, I was completely blown away with what I found. Enjoy.
1. Terry Bradshaw
“I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.”
Well you got me there, Terry.
2. Joe Theismann, ESPN Announcer and Former NFL Quarterback
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
I am speechless. For the first time in my life...speechless. Though I gotta say, I love Norman.
3. Dick Butkus, Former Chicago Bears Linebacker
"I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was important—like a league game."
So...what you’re saying is that you set out to hurt someone in every game then, right? I read ya, Dick. I read ya.
4. William Perry, Former Chicago Bears Defensive Tackle
"I've been big ever since I was little."
5. Jerry Rice, San Francisco 49ers Wide Receiver
"I feel like I'm the best, but you're not going to get me to say that."
Well said, Jerry. Well said.
6. Lee Corso, College Football Analyst
"Hawaii doesn't win many games in the United States."
So...... um....they basically don’t win any games then?
7. Greg Norman, Famous Australian Golfer
"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."
Your mother and father are one thing here Greg, but tell me more about your parents.
8. Alan Minter, Boxer
“Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing—but none of them serious.”
Last time I checked, death was a pretty serious thing here, Alan.
9. Jason Kidd, NBA Basketball Player
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
So, basically that would be a full circle and you would be back to where you started. Okay, I suppose you're onto something here, Jase.
10. Winston Bennett, Basketball Player
"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body."
I don’t know what doctor you’re seeing, Winston, but...
11. Shaquille O’Neal, Basketball Player
Reporter: "Shaquille, did you visit the Parthenon during your visit to Greece?"
O'Neal: "I can't really remember the names of all the clubs that we went to."
Okay, but can you remember if they had a live DJ there? I heard it’s awesome when they do.
12. Bobby Robson, Football Manager
"We didn't underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought."
Underestimate; an estimate that is too low. I am glad you didn’t underestimate them too, Bobby.
13. Bill Peterson, Football Coach at Florida State
"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
There really are no words........(though it makes sense he was an ACC coach.)
14. Doug Collins
“Any time Detroit scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points, they almost always win.”
Well, I suppose if I really think about it I can see what he was trying to say..........No...No...actually I can’t.
15. Johnny Miller, TV Analyst and Pro Golfer
“I don’t think anywhere is there a symbiotic relationship between caddie and player like there is in golf.”
I would have to say I completely agree with you. No argument here.
16. Drew Gooden, Cavaliers Forward on the Ups and Downs of His NBA Career
“I've had to overcome a lot of diversity."
Yeah, that diversity certainly does get in the way of one’s ups and downs.
17. Chuck Lamar, Devil Rays GM on His Team
“The only thing that keeps this organization from being recognized as one of the finest in baseball is wins and losses at the major league level."
um.....The only thing?
18. Alex Rodriguez, Yankees Third Baseman on the Benefits of Seeing a Therapist
"Therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic."
Now wait a minute, A-Rod. You absolutely sure about this?
19. Brett Hull During His St. Louis Blues Days, on a Possible Trade
"I'll be sad to go, and I wouldn't be sad to go. It wouldn't upset me to leave St. Louis, but it would upset me to leave St. Louis. It's hard to explain. You'll find out one of these days, but maybe you never will."
Okay, Brett you may need to explain this one to me...or don’t. But I would really like to hear what you really meant...or I wouldn’t. Think about it...or don't.
20. Leon Wood, Basketball Player to Announcer Steve Albert
"Are you any relation to your brother Marv?"
If Steve gets asked this question ONE more time...
21. Mike Greenwell, Baseball Player
"I'm a four-wheel-drive pickup type of guy. So is my wife."
This is oddly disturbing to me...
22. Garry Maddox, Asked His Reaction to Hitting a Grand Slam
"As I remember it, the bases were loaded."
Okay, well tell me what you would say if you didn’t remember it.
23. Joaquin Andujar, Pitcher
"There is one word in America that says it all, and that word is, 'You never know.'"
Well, I have one word for this quote: ”Couldn’t have said it better.”
24. Jeff Innis, New York Met Pitcher Griping about a Bad Newspaper Photo
"That picture was taken out of context."
Now I don’t know about you, Jeff, but I personally hate it when that happens.
25. Karl Mecklenburg, Denver Broncos Linebacker, before Super Bowl XXIV
"Defensively, I think it's important for us to tackle."
Well, Karl, I’d say you’re onto something.