The first week has been played, and the computer has run the calculations to determine how the teams should be ranked based on their performance on the field during the first three weeks of the preseason and the first week of the regular season. You can see the pre-season rankings here.
3. New York Giants (5) 1-0: The defending champs were solid and it looks like it will be a tough battle for the NFC East crown.
4. Tennessee Titans (7) 1-0: Though Vince Young was a little shaky, the team played well against a strong opponent.
6. Tampa Bay Bucs (1) 0-1: Our number one team at the start of the season dropped to New Orleans and dropped in the rankings.
8. Carolina Panthers (14) 1-0: Their strong play moved them up into the top ten.
12. Seattle Seahawks (2) 0-1: Disappointing start to Holmgren's final season as coach with so much trouble at wide receiver.
13. Jacksonville Jaguars (6) 0-1: Tough loss to division rival Tennessee.
15. Arizona Cardinals (20) 1-0: Strong game against a weaker opponent.
17. Washington Redskins (12) 0-1: Not a very good start to the season with the performance they had on Thursday night.
19. Detroit Lions (13) 0-1: They had a great pre-season but couldn't perform when it counted.
20. Indianapolis Colts (8) 0-1: Missing the pre-season clearly affected the chemistry between Manning and the rest of the offense.
22. Miami Dolphins (15) 0-1: Pennington almost got the win in the end, but they just couldn't pull it out.
23. New York Jets (24) 1-0: They had a strong showing in week 1, but Favre's Jets will have to keep that up to improve their ranking.
24. San Francisco 49ers (16) 0-1: Their poor performance against Arizona brought them down.
25. Houston Texans (22) 0-1: They just got smashed by Pittsburgh.
26. Baltimore Ravens (31) 1-0: Good start for the rookie Joe Flacco.
27. Minnesota Vikings (26) 0-1: Despite their star-studded team, they need to see more consistency and better play overall from QB Tarvaris Jackson.
28. St. Louis Rams (23) 0-1: They had the worst performance in the league this week.
29. Kansas City Chiefs (30) 0-1: Almost pulled off a victory against New England.
30. Oakland Raiders (27) 0-1: Blown away by the Broncos.
31. Cleveland Browns (28) 0-1: Blown away by the Cowboys.
32. Cincinnati Bengals (32) 0-1: Nothing good to say about this team.
Make sure you come back next week to see the updated rankings.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!