Saskatchewan Roughriders Pull Off a Comeback To Remember In Winnipeg

Adam GreuelSenior Analyst ISeptember 7, 2008

After winning the first game of a home-and-home series known as the Labour Day Classic and Banjo Bowl, the Riders appeared to have lost the second game, but I'll tell you how the Riders were able to come back for the win in this thrilling game recap.

First Quarter

The offenses came out firing early on in the game and the Riders started off the scoring on the first possession of the game when Wes Cates capped a 65-yard, five-play drive with a three-yard touchdown run just 2:28 into the football game. It was Catesʼ league-leading tenth touchdown of the season.

The Bombers were able to come back on their very first drive of the game when tailback Fred Reid plunged into the end zone from the one-yard line. The Bombers then pulled ahead 14-7 when Terrence Edwards pulled in a 13-yard pass from Kevin Glenn.

Second Quarter

The second quarter was not a very eventful one as both offense's seemed to have cooled off. Neither team was able to score any points until very late in the half when Blue Bombers kicker Alexis Serna booted a 41-yard field goal.

The Riders seemed to have been getting something going late in the half when a illegal procedure call on third-and-inches forced them to punt. Fortunately for them, they were able to pounce on a fumble by kick returner Jason Armstead.

Michael Bishop was able to throw a 31-yard touchdown pass to rookie slotback Weston Dressler with just 39 seconds left in the half to make it a 17-14 game for the Bombers at the half.

Third Quarter

Winnipeg came out firing in the third quarter and they were able to score on there very first drive of the half when Edwards caught another touch down pass, this one from 41 yards out. This put the Bombers ahead by ten points, 24-14.

With five minutes and 33 seconds remaining in the third quarter, the Riders Gerran Walker appeared to have caught a touchdown pass. When he came down with the ball in his hands, he took three distinct steps in the end zone before tumbling out of bounds with the ball still in his hands.

Apparently, the ref was either to busy looking at a hottie in the crowd, or he just smoked some reefer before the half, but he ruled it a no-catch and the Riders had already used their two challenges for the game. Because of this, the Riders had to try for a field goal but then missed that due to Rob Bagg not being able to handle the snap.

As luck would have it, Joe Smith scored on a one yard run on the very next drive, giving the Bombers a commanding 31-14 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Fourth Quarter

With the game all but lost, it was time to pull together for the Riders and did they ever pull together! Bishop started it off when he found Dressler behind the Bomber secondary for a 45-yard touchdown strike. It was their second touchdown hookup of the day, and it capped an 80-yard drive. That made it 31-21 for Winnipeg.

Bishop kept it going with a 32-yard touchdown pass to rookie receiver Vincent Marshall.  After another procedure penalty forced the Riders to kick a field goal instead of going for the touchdown, the game was tied at 31.

The Bombers were then forced to punt after a two-and-out and the Riders got the ball with just 39 seconds left in the game. Bishop was able to lob a miracle 65-yard pass that was caught by Gerran Walker. Luca Congi split the uprights from 29 yards out with zero seconds left on the clock, giving the Riders the improbable comeback victory.