Juan Manuel Marquez
A great number of boxing fans, most especially in the Philippines and Mexico, are still clamoring for the highly anticipated trilogy between Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez and Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao.
When Bob Arum announced Pacquiao will return to the ring on April 16, fans from both Mexico and the Philippines were hoping Marquez would have at least an equal chance of getting the nod of the pound-for-pound king. After all, Marquez has traveled thousands of miles and spent sleepless nights chasing Manny Pacquiao for the much publicized trilogy.
Obviously, Marquez's burning desire to fight Pacquiao again for the third time is anchored on a rare opportunity of making his biggest fight purse in his entire boxing career.
Here are five reasons why the fight won't happen:
Marquez vs.Mayweather Jr
Should Manny Pacquiao agrees to Marquez's fight proposal, It would be his biggest fight purse in his boxing career, and he could retire for good—win or lose. After all, Marquez is pushing 39 and ready to hang up his gloves.
Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum immediately balked at Marquez's fight offer as prepared by Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy promotions. Arum claimed Schaefer is pricing Marquez out of the race with the highest offer from amongst the three shortlisted fighters, namely Shane Mosley, Andre Berto and Marquez.
Asian Correspondent Edwin Espejo reports: Pacquiao friend Wakee Salud said the day, after Manny celebrated his 32nd birthday, that Marquez was asking for a US$4 million guaranteed purse plus US$5 dollar for every pay-per-view (PPV) buy.
Marquez is practically asking for an US$8 million to US$10 million pay day. He is likewise essentially asking more than double the money he got in his lopsided defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year. For a man who can’t even pull 250,000 PPV buys on a carried headlined and carried by him, that’s a ludicrous demand.
The 39-year-old Shane Mosley is reportedly offering to fight Manny Pacquiao for even less than half of the amount that Marquez is proposing.
It is quite clear from the disparity of the price offer that Richard Shaefer may not really be interested in the Pacquiao-Marquez fight, otherwise he would not come up with such a ridiculous offer.
It was earlier reported Schaefer is matching Marquez with a fellow fighter from Golden Boy promotions where Marquez is under contract.
Richard Schaefer (right) with Oscar de la Hoya
Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer has been pushing for the Pacquiao-Marquez trilogy despite his "rediculous" offer. It seems Schaefer is on the win-win side of things even if Pacquiao declines. If Pacquiao bites, GBP and Marquez end up with a fat purse, win or lose, and if Pacquiao declines, Schaefer finds justification is matching Marquez with an in-house GBP boxer.
GBP Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com that the fight the public wants to see is a third meeting between Pacquiao and Marquez, who fights under the GBP banner.
“I really think if Pacquiao is going to fight May 7, on Cinco de Mayo weekend, you have to do Marquez on the Mexican holiday,” Schaefer told fight scribe Dan Rafael.
“Do you know how big that would be? It’s a big fight no matter when it would be, but it would be even bigger on the Mexican holiday in Las Vegas.”
Schaefer said it was just reasonable that GBP is asking for a hefty sum from Top Rank, since Top Rank would be the one staging the fight.
Schaefer said Marquez’s asking price would be much less if Arum decides to co-promote with GBP.
Top Rank owner Bob Arum
It seems Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum has already made a decision on who is going to be Manny Pacquiao's next opponent.
Aside from generating the most money, Arum said a Pacquiao-Mosley fight would be tougher compared to a confrontation with either Andre Berto or Juan Manuel Marquez.
In the early morning interview with the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Arum said an overwhelming number of sports fans would want Pacquiao to fight Mosley, who has emerged as the most popular challenger to the eight-division Filipino world champ.
According to Arum, his research has shown that 80 percent of the pay-per-view people are general sports fans and not pure boxing fans, and the Mosley PPV will generate the most interest and money.
Manny Pacquiao with wife Jinkee and daughter Princess
Pacquiao is willing to fight Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez again, although he understands that might not excite fans.
The Filipino boxing superstar, when asked about his thoughts on the proposed trilogy with Juan Manuel Marquez, said:
"I think people are not so interested ... because if I were a boxing fan, I would not watch Pacquiao vs. Marquez," he said.
Most of the Filipino boxing fans agree with Pacquiao's opinion that not many people will be interested in watching the fight with Marquez.
They think Pacquiao has nothing more to prove as he has defeated Marquez twice although the other fight was declared a draw, but they argue that one of the judges erred in the scoring.
On the other hand, Mexican fans who believed Marquez was cheated on the officiating in both fights are pushing for the third and final bout with the Filipino boxer to settle the issue once and for all.