There was so much activity during the opening week of college football that it seems natural to review the best and worst. This article will rate the best and worst coaching performances of week one.
1) Nick Saban: So totally out-coached Tommy Bowden that it was actually pitiful.
2) Skip Holtz: A brilliant gameplan to defeat Va Tech proves he is more than Lou's son.
3) Rick Neuheisel: He's back—Pete Carroll better get ready for this crafty Bruin.
4) David Cutcliffe: Jump-starting the Duke program with exciting play and a big win.
5) Jim Harbaugh: Inspirational and great game plan to take out Mike Riley's Beavers.
6) Jeff Tedford: Had his Bears ready to take out respected Mark Dantonio's Spartans.
7) Steve Spurrier: Lost his QB to injury, stayed with his plan, and wore out N.C. State.
8) Derek Dooley: LA Tech coach stakes his claim to glory with win over Mississippi St.
9) Gregg Brandon: Falcon Chief out-coached Dave Wannstedt for 60 minutes in upset win.
10) Pat Hill: Bulldog Boss took his team 3,000 miles to defeat the vaunted Greg Schiano.
11) Les Miles: With Gustav on the way and the upset kings on the field, Miles got it done.
12) Kyle Whittingham: Very impressive handling of four million dollar man Rich Rodriguez.
1) Tommy Bowden: Once again, stakes his claim as the most overrated coach in football.
2) Chuck Long: Led his Aztecs to a loss to Cal Poly. 'Nuff said.
3) Dave Wannstedt: OK, it's time to go. You just can't figure it out.
4) Frank Beamer: May finally have achieved perfect balance of inconsistency.
5) Mike Riley: Did not have it between the ears or on the field. Surprisingly bad.
1) Mike Sherman: One of the worst coaching jobs in recent history—lost to Arkansas St.
2) Sylvester Croom: Hero one minute, bum the next. That's life in the SEC.
3) Rich Rodriguez: Ineptness is not a virtue. Wolverines expect more than loss to Utah.
4) Tom O'Brien: Robot Commando. His teams die with no emotion.
5) Al Groh: Cavalier leader is once again smoked by a real team with a real coach.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!