Top Five Stories From Yesterday
1. The first coaching move of the NFL season occurs when the Cowboys fired Wade Phillips after the team’s 1-7 start to the 2010 season.
2. Pittsburgh jumped out to a big lead, but had to hold on to defeat Cincinnati to improve to 6-2 on Monday Night Football.
3. There are multiple reports that Dan Hawkins will be fired from the head coaching position at the University of Colorado.
4. The 2010-2011 college basketball season gets underway with four games highlighted by No. 4 Pittsburgh’s struggle to defeat Rhode Island.
5. Orlando defeats Atlanta in a match-up of Southeast Division teams off to good starts to the season.
Top Five Games From Yesterday
1. Red Wings 3, Coyotes 2, Overtime: Henrik Zetterberg scored 90 seconds into the extra session to lift Detroit to the home victory over Phoenix.
2. Steelers 27, Bengals 21: Pittsburgh jumped out to a 27-7 lead early in the fourth, but Cincinnati rallied with two TDs and threatened for the game-tying score but Pittsburgh held on.
3. Mavericks 89, Celtics 87: Dirk Nowitzki made a jumper with 16 seconds left to give Dallas the home win over Boston
4. Bulls 94, Nuggets 92: Chicago went 4-for-6 from the line in the last 12 seconds to secure the two-point victory at home over Denver
5. Magic 93, Hawks 89: Vince Carter scored five of his 19 points in the last 90 seconds to give Orlando the win, and Atlanta its second straight loss after starting the year 6-0.
Top Five Performances From Yesterday
1. Terrell Owens, Bengals WR: 10 catches for 141 yards and two TDs in Cincinnati’s 27-21 loss to Pittsburgh.
2. Zach Randolph, Grizzlies PF: 23 points and 20 rebounds in Memphis’s 109-99 win over Phoenix.
3. Jordan Hamliton, Texas SF: 26 points and 10 rebounds in No. 25 Texas’s 83-52 win over Navy.
4. Stephen Curry, Warriors SG: 34 points and five rebounds in Golden State’s 109-102 win over Toronto.
5. Brad Wanamaker, Panthers SG: 24 points and eight assists in No. 4 Pittsburgh’s 83-75 win over Rhode Island.
Five Performances That Weren’t So Good From Yesterday
1. D.J. Augustin, Bobcats PG: Just 3-of-15 shooting for only seven points in Charlotte’s 95-91 loss to San Antonio.
2. Chad Ochocinco, Bengals WR: Had only one catch for 15 yards in Cincinnati’s 27-21 loss to Pittsburgh.
3. Cervante Burrell, Seattle G: Just 6-of-17 shooting and fouled out in the Redhawks 105-76 loss to Maryland.
4. Adrian Aucoin, Coyotes D: Had a minus-two in Phoenix’s 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit.
5. Al Harrington, Nuggets PF: Just 4-of-13 shooting for only 10 points and fouled out in Denver’s 94-92 loss to Chicago.
Top Five Events To Follow Today
1. NCAA FB: Toledo (6-3) at Northern Illinois (7-2), 7:00 PM, ESPN2: Both teams are undefeated in conference, and the winner will play in the MAC Championship game.
2. NHL: Canucks (8-3-2) at Canadiens (8-5-1), 7:30 PM: A match-up of Canadian teams that are playing well so far this season as both teams lead their divisions.
3. NHL: Capitals (10-4-0) at Rangers (7-6-1), 7:30 PM, Versus: Washington, one of two teams to already have 10 wins travels to the Big Apple to take on New York
4. NHL: Thrashers (6-5-3) at Senators (7-6-1), 7:30 PM: Both teams are in the jumbled middle of the pack in the East, and could use two points to move up the ladder.
5. NBA: Jazz (3-3) at Heat (5-2), 7:30 PM, NBA TV: Utah, led by Deron Williams, invades South Beach to take on the Big Three.