Top Five Stories From Yesterday
1. In a classic upset Saturday, eight top 25 teams lost, led by No. 1 Ohio State at Wisconsin and No. 5 Nebraska at home to Texas.
2. The Giants jumped out to a three-run lead, and hung on for a big Game 1 NLCS victory over Philadelphia on the road.
3. The Rangers won a postseason home game for the first time in franchise history as they evened the series with the Yankees.
4. The Stars stayed unbeaten on the young NHL season by defeating the Blues in a shootout at home.
5. Jamie McMurray won the Sprint Cup race in Charlotte, while Jimmie Johnson finished third to maintain the championship lead.
Top Five Games From Yesterday
1. Giants 4, Phillies 3: Cody Ross hit two HRs to get San Francisco a three-run lead, and they held on for an important Game 1 NLCS win over Philadelphia.
2. Washington 35, No. 24 Oregon State 34, 2OT: The Huskies got out to a 21-0 lead, then had to win the game in the second overtime by stopping a Beaver two-point attempt after a TD.
3. Rutgers 23, Army 20, OT: The Scarlet Knights put on a furious comeback, scoring twice in the fourth quarter to tie and winning the game on a Joe Martinek 1-yard TD run in the extra session.
4. East Carolina 33, North Carolina State 27, OT: In a wild finish, the Pirates missed their extra point in the extra session, but an interception by Damon Magazu sealed the win for ECU.
5. Red Wings 2, Coyotes 1, OT: Niklas Kronwall scored a power play goal with 16 seconds left to give Detroit the victory.
Top Five Performances From Yesterday
1. Matt Barkley, Southern Cal QB: 25-of-37 for 352 yards and five TDs in USC’s 48-14 blowout win over California.
2. Ronnie Hillman, San Diego State RB: 24 carries for 191 yards and two TDs in the Aztec’s 27-25 upset of No. 23 Air Force.
3. Cody Ross, Giants CF: 2-for-3 with two HRs and two RBI in San Francisco’s 4-3 NLCS Game 1 win over Philadelphia.
4. Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma WR: 15 catches for 182 yards and a TD in the No. 6 Sooners' 52-0 demolition of Iowa State.
5. Ross Jenkins, Louisiana Tech QB: 31-of-44 for 422 and three TDs in the Bulldogs 48-35 win over Idaho.
Five Performances That Weren’t So Good From Yesterday
1. Arkansas defense: The Razorbacks gave up 65 points and 566 yards in their 65-43 loss to No. 7 Auburn.
2. Phil Hughes, Yankees SP: Seven runs on 10 hits in four IP in New York’s 7-2 ALCS Game 2 loss to Texas.
3. Sean Renfree, Duke QB: 18-of-38 for 157 and five INTs in Duke’s 28-13 loss to Miami (Fla.)
4. Vanderbilt offense: The Commodores managed just 140 points and were shutout in their 43-0 loss to Georgia.
5. San Jose State running game: Had 29 carries for minus 12 yards in the Spartans' 48-0 blowout loss to No. 3 Boise State.
Top Five Events To Follow Today
1. NFL: Ravens (4-1) at Patriots (3-1), 1:00 P.M., CBS: Baltimore’s unbelievably tough road schedule this season continues with a trip to Foxboro.
2. NFL: Browns (1-4) at Steelers (3-1), 1:00 P.M., CBS: The QBs are the story here today: Colt McCoy’s first NFL start and the return on Ben Roethlisberger.
3. NFL: Saints (3-2) at Buccaneers (3-1), 1:00 PM, FOX: New Orleans and Tampa Bay both need a win to keep pace with Atlanta in the NFC South.
4. NLCS Game 2: Giants (1) at Phillies (0), 8:00 P.M., FOX: Philadelphia looks to get back into the series before it heads to the West Coast; (Sanchez (SF) vs. Oswalt (PHI))
5. NFL: Colts (3-2) at Redskins (3-2), 8:15 P.M., NBC: Both teams look to get a win and improve their standing in their respective divisions.