Brett Favre Scandal: The Latest on Jenn Sterger and the NFL Investigation
The Brett Favre scandal involving pictures and voicemails sent to former Jets' game hostess Jenn Sterger has continued to grow.
With all of the reports, reactions, and updates coming in all the time, the whole scandal can be a bit overwhelming.
That's where we come in. Bleacher Report is bringing you the latest news, and reaction from various media outlets, and updating what we know so far.
What We Know So Far
Here's a rundown of what's happened so far.
In 2008, Favre was the quarterback for the New York Jets. Sterger was a game hostess for the team.
She received a strange Myspace message with a phone number attached, which told her that a Jets PR person would be visiting her shortly.
Soon after, Sterger gave her number to someone who claimed to be Jared Winley, a PR person with the Jets, who said a player wanted it.
Steger then began getting suggestive voicemails from someone claiming to be Favre. When she didn't respond favorably, the messages turned more desperate.
Finally, Steger began receiving explicit pictures from the person alleged to be Favre.
Recently it was revealed that Sterger was not the only one who received some inappropriate advances from the quarterback.
A pair of team-employed masseuses also received explicit texts from Favre, inviting both women to his hotel room.
When one of the masseuse's husbands contacted Favre for an apology, he allegedly blew him off and sounded arrogant, according to Deadspin.
NFL Investigating Favre
Last Thursday, the same day Deadspin released the alleged pictures of Favre, the NFL gave word that they were looking into the possible incident.
While commissioner Roger Goodell has said he has no plans to interview Favre, he also refused to rule out the possibility of doing so.
Favre's reaction to the scandal has been somewhat passive.
The Vikings quarterback gave a tearful apology to teammates on Monday, saying he was sorry for being a distraction.
When asked about the scandal by ESPN, Favre stated that "That will take its course."
For someone who could be facing a suspension, he has seemed awfully calm about the issue.
The reaction to the scandal from the media has been decidedly mixed. The commentators for Monday Night Football this week touched on the scrutiny Favre has been under, comparing his current troubles to playing after the death of his father, and other tragedies that have affected the quarterback.
"We could see some of Favre's best work tonight," color man Jon Gruden said on Monday.
Media Reaction Has Been Mixed
The general reaction of the mainstream media has been decidedly mixed and varied.
There are those, like William Rhoden of the New York Times, who see this as an indicator that Favre needs to leave.
Others have taken a more realistic approach, like CBS, who broke down the scandal by each aspect of a potential sexual harassment case, showing how hard it would be for Sterger to prove she was harassed.
Siding With the Gunslinger?
While there are members of the media who are giving this scandal the kind of coverage it should get, there are obviously extremes on both sides.
Sports Illustrated's Peter King, always one of Favre's biggest fans, says that the best conclusion for both sides is for the NFL to quickly end its investigation. Because, of course, the best thing to do about a potential sexual harassment issue is to sweep it under the rug as quickly as possible.
After all, we don't want any reason to stop loving Favre and his diva antics.
ESPN's Reaction To Favre
ESPN's team of opinion writers have largely avoided the Favre scandal, with a pair of notable exceptions.
Ian O'Connor of ESPN New York claims that this scandal is further proof that Favre should have stayed retired. He talks about Favre's anger at teammates discussing his apology to the media, particularly kicker Ryan Longwell, and says that between the way he's playing, the team's struggles as a whole, and now this scandal, Favre should have stayed in Mississippi.
One of the best reactions to the brouhaha comes from Jemele Hill. The ESPN writer wisely points out that Favre's controversy is worse than Tiger Woods', a frequent comparison. Because Favre was harassing unwilling women, and Woods was having consensual sex with women, it's fairly obvious that Favre was more in the wrong than Woods. Hill preaches moderation in response, but points out that this isn't the first time Favre's been carousing.
Given the amount of evidence that's out there right now, and the fact that three different women are putting their necks on the line, including a public figure in Sterger, it seems fairly likely that Favre is guilty of doing what he's accused of.
The fact that he has yet to issue a convincing denial tells me that he sent the texts and pictures, or knows who did. But in a move of arrogance, he's convinced himself that he won't get in trouble for it.
Regardless of what the actual circumstances of the sending of the messages was, the fact is that all three women have gone on the record as saying the advances were unwanted. That makes it harassment.
If Favre is hoping his gunslinger antics can save him one more, he could find himself in serious trouble.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!