Daily Haze: Finding the Next Brandon Jackson
Ryan Grant may have been the first running back casualty of the year, but he certainly will not be the last.
So while Grant's backup Brandon Jackson enjoys the fantasy football spotlight this week, there are a number of other backup running backs around the league waiting for their chance at a starting spot. Jackson may be dominating the waiver wire this week, but one of these guys could do the same down the line.
When? It could be never. Or it could be next week. These players are speculative pickups if you have the spot on your roster for it.
Anthony Dixon, 49ers
He had a great preseason until the 49ers signed Brian Westbrook, which threw a little cold water on his short fantasy ascension. Still, he has better long-term value than Westbrook and only is a Frank Gore injury away from starting.
Albert Young, Vikings
Mentioned Young as a name to know after the Vikings lost to the Saints last Thursday. It was Young, not rookie Toby Gerhart, who spelled Adrian Peterson during the first game of the season.
Kenneth Darby, Rams
Steven Jackson is as tough and durable as they come, playing for a bad team for many seasons now. He already is banged up after Week One. Keep an eye on the backup situation in St. Louis closely.
Javon Ringer, Titans
God forbid anything happen to Chris Johnson and his quest for NFL history this season. Ringer scored a touchdown last week against the Raiders, proving he can be a capable fill-in for Johnson if needed.
Here are today's great reads:
- The Chargers seem fine going forward without the services of Vincent Jackson this season. They should at least get something for him now via a trade. One suggestion is that the Washington Redskins make a play for Jackson's services. Donovan McNabb likely would not complain much. [Pancake Blocks]
- Another fantasy expert talking about Arian Foster's big week. Tired of hearing about it yet? I hope Foster can keep this up. Anyway, he claims, as others have as well, that Foster being this good is really bad news for the Texans' passing game this year. [CBSSports.com]
- Behind Brandon Jackson, Michael Vick may be the second-most popular name off the fantasy football waiver wire this week. And now that Kevin Kolb has not been cleared yet for the weekend, Vick is looking like an even more enticing option against Detroit. Especially for Kevin Kolb or Matthew Stafford owners. [SI.com]
- Laurence Maroney getting traded to Denver was not that big of news for his fantasy value. It remains low. Little effect on Knowshon Moreno as well. But the big beneficiary here is Fred Taylor, who now has less competition for touches in the still-crowded New England backfield. [Roto Arcade]
- New starting quarterbacks struggled for their teams during the first weekend of NFL football. Fans are hoping that trend does not continue, otherwise it is more of the same for a number of these teams. [The Fifth Down]
- If you, like me, keep scratching your head when it comes to figuring out fantasy football defenses, maybe this fantasy defense analysis will help. [Ultimate Fantasy Football Strategy]
If you are a Tweeter, follow The Hazean on Twitter. If it is a good chuckle you desire, check out The Hazean's Facebook page. Remember to follow (Twitter) and become a fan (Facebook) of The Hazean on both popular social networking sites.
If it is just more solid reading material that you crave, check out The Hazean's Google Reader Shared Items page.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?