NHL Breeze: Aug.30, Lee’s Back, DiPietro Rehab, Gagner wins a New Deal
Happy birthdays to:
NHL player born today:
- Justin Peters, 24, Carolina Hurricanes
Today’s NHL news and notes:
- Lee Stempniak expected to announce his new deal with the Coyotes on Monday. Terms to be released.
- September is just around the corner and Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro is optimistic he has strengthened his knee to a point that he can return to old form this season. Still unsure when he will be back at full speed.
- Sam Gagner of the Oilers extended his contract with the team for 2-years, $4.55mil. He will get a lot of playing time as he now has more weapons to work with.
- Toronto Maple Leafs sign forward Clarke MacArthur to a 1-year deal worth $1.1mil.
- Edmonton starting goalie Nikolai Khabibulin is convicted to 3 charges of DUI and speeding in Arizona. The goalie could face about 6 months in prison for his actions.
- Despite report that Don Fehr is the new NHLPA boss, players association says “not so fast”
- Joel Quenville was at the WhiteSox pre-game for a ceremonial pitch Friday night.
- Training camp opens up in a couple of weeks for many NHL teams, expect the current free agents who wants to play to agree to join clubs on pro tryouts
- Ilya Kovalchuk and the NJ Devils submitted their latest and likely final proposal to the NHL. The league has 5 days to deem the contract valid or invalid. If things go according to plan, Kovy will play around 15-years for $100 million dollars. $6.66mil cap hit.
- Toronto Maple Leafs traded for Matt Lashoff in exchange for Alex Berry and Stephano Giliati. Log jam on defense for the Leafs. Someone has to go…
- Paul Kariya’s agent Don Baizley announced that Paul will not play this season.
- National Hockey League’s participation in Olympics in question
- In Pittsburgh, Jordan Staal’s surgically repaired right foot will be examined by doctors to see if he is ready for training camp.
- Bill Guerin is told by the Penguins that they do not intend on bringing him back, Guerin is disappointed to hear this news.
- Bobby Ryan wishes to remain a Duck as the Ducks want him back. Hold back is the discussions on term. Ryan wants a 3 year deal which brings him into UFA, but Ducks have offered 4 and 5 year deals thus far.
- Nicklas Grossman signed a contract with Dallas Stars.
Thank you for participating.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.