NHL Breeze: Aug.22, Morning Edition
To begin the day, I just want to wish a Happy Birthday to you!
Also Happy birthdays to:
Braydon Schenn, 19, LA Kings
Today’s NHL news and notes:
- NHL to change tiebreaker system so that the first tiebreak becomes wins excluding shootout victories. Only wins in regulation and OT counts.
· Scott Howson is the person that proposed the change back in March.
- Vinny Lecavalier underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and is expected to recover in 4-weeks. Just in time for the Lightning’s training camp.
- Tampa Bay Lightning training camp starts Sept.17.
- Montréal Canadiens expected to announce the hiring of Patrick Boivin, son of Pierre, to become the club’s director of hockey operations. He replaces Brisbois who joined the Lightning as assistant general manager.
- Pierre Gauthier will be GM for the Bulldogs
- Islanders could be in the hunt for Sheldon Souray if Edmonton couldn’t make a deal with the Capitals for Fleischmann.
- Sami Salo expected to be out until after Christmas is the early indication. He suffered Achilles injury while playing floor hockey in Finland.
- Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager Brian Burke among many in favour of the hybrid icing rule
- Luke Schenn is glad Kaberle returns, but Kaberle and his dad now reportedly saying his son Tomas does not want to play for Ron Wilson. He is not alone. Trade is a welcomed possibility.
- Condolences to Shea Weber’s family who lost Mrs. Weber to a long battle with brain tumor.
- Canucks training camp is between Sept.12-16 in Penticton, B.C. Many other teams are hosting training camp the same time.
- Bill Sweatt opened his own Twitter account. Many NHLers are catching on to the new technology @billySweatt
- Willie Mitchell will make his decision after the weekend is over. VAN, LA, SJ, WAS in hunt.
- Alexander Ovechkin said of course he will play in the NHL and not the KHL, it’s every player’s dream…in his interview about the KHL on Radio Sport.
- Ovechkin also talked about KHL not honouring their salary promised and rightfully owed to players. “There is also a deception. Look at what is happening with Lada Togliatti – it is a disgrace. In America it is difficult to imagine not paying people their salary.”
- Pittsburgh Penguins signed Arron Asham to a 1-year contract Friday.
- Washington Capital and the Canucks are reported to be discussing about a possible trade with Fleischmann going to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa or to Edmonton for Sheldon Souray.
Thank you for your participation.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.