Scotty Bowman coached 2,371 games (including playoffs) with five different teams and winning a total of nine Stanley Cups while coaching Montreal Canadiens, the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Detroit Red Wings. He also won three Stanley Cups as a member of an organization's front office.
Here's a list of a few memorable quotes from his career.
- “I like Montreal but a guy gets to a point where he can't work anymore for someone he feels is less competent than him.”
- “Hockey is its own game. It's completely different than all other games, although it's getting way too close to soccer.”
- “I've KO'd a lot of guys verbally. I've got one of the most vicious knockout punches with the tongue of anyone on earth.”
- “The better the coaching has become, the worse the game has become.”
- “I knew your father before you did, and I don't think he'd be too proud of what you're doing right now.”
- “I like to think I speak for a lot of the players. But a lot of the players don't ever support me, which [ticks] me off.”
- “There is nothing so uncertain as a sure thing.”