August 21, 2010
- The largest number of players who reached the 500 goals mark was during the 2006-07 season . During that time 5 players achieve it.
- From the 41 players who scored 500 goals, 32 are Canadian, four are American, two are Finnish, one is Czech and one is Slovakian.
- Wayne Gretzky needed 575 games to score 500 goals..Mario Lemieux needed 605.
- 17 of the 41 players reached the 500 goals mark by playing less than 1000 games.
- Lanny McDonald reached the 500 goals with four games remaining in his last NHL season.
- Four players scored the 500th goal in an empty net. Wayne Gretzky, Mike Bossy, Jari Kurri, Keith Tkachuk.
- Mats Sundin’s 500th goal was in overtime giving the Toronto Maple Leafs. By scoring that goal he also did a hat trick, scored one of his league leading 15 overtime goals and all of this while the Leafs were short handed.
- The Detroit Red Wings have had five different player who scored their 500th goal while playing for the team. Both the Montreal Canadiens and the Chicago Blackhawks have four players.
Follow me on twitter
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!