Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
NHL Breeze: Aug.19, Evening Edition
To begin the day, I just want to wish a Happy Birthday to you!
Also Happy birthdays to:
- Taylor Pyatt, 29, Phoenix Coyotes
- Steve Ott, 28, Dallas Stars
- As well as NHL execs: Darryl Sutter, 52, Calgary Flames, Don Waddell, 52, Atlanta Thrashers
Today’s NHL news and notes:
- UFA defenseman Freddy Meyer signs a 2-way deal with the Atlanta Thrashers. The Sanbornville, New Hampshire product played 64 games with the New York Islanders last season averaging 16:46 t.o.i per game. Great bargain for the Thrashers.
- Florida Panthers matched the Thrashers move by signing tough guy LW Andrew Peters to a 1-year deal today.
- Steve Nash’s brother-in-law and Canucks newcomer Manny Malhotra said GM Mike Gillis and coach Alain Vigneault expects him to play both the wing and centre on the Canucks this season.
- Manny Malhotra in Vancouver to settle down in his new hometown.
From last night:
- Paul McCarty, the former Beatle enters the Consol Energy Center opening ceremony.
- Taylor Swift, the country music star, starred a Nashville Predators commercial last year. In case you missed it. Here on Predators NHL network.
- The National Hockey League is still investigating the 4 big long-term contracts. Just a scare, don’t worry.
- Vancouver Canucks are not keeping Kevin Bieksa according to Dobber’s hockey Jeff Angus. I agree with Angus’s assessments. Bieksa is going to play in another uniform sooner or later regardless of Salo, Mitchell or O’Brien’s status.
- Canucks young defenseman, Alex Edler, who hurt his ankle in the Chicago playoff series, stated, “"I had the cast on for five weeks and was on crutches for three, but after that it's been feeling good," he said. "No pain or anything."”
Other recent signings and NHL Transactions:
- Fernando Pisano signs with Chicago Blackhawks $500 000, 1-year deal.
- St.Louis Blues signed forward Ben Guite to 1-year deal.
- Andy Hilbert returns to the Islanders for 1-year, 2-way contract.
- Rob Hisey also signs with the Islanders (1-year, 2-way).
Thank you for your participation.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.